|The Smalls lighthouse, |
DI2008_0797 NPRN 34350
The Smalls lighthouse, off the western tip of Pembrokeshire, was the first in Britain to be built on piles, and represented a pioneering use of cast iron. Completed in 1776, it was designed by a musical instrument maker, John Phillips. The timber and cast-iron piles allowed the sea to pass beneath the light and it survived the harsh conditions for nearly a century, being replaced by a stone tower only in 1861.
|Model of an Abandoned Lighthouse by |
Photograph courtesy of David Hastie