Posts Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts      All Comments Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts     Cymraeg

Thursday, 26 February 2015

National Monuments Record of Wales Archives and Library Bulletin - February 2015

Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed.

Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00, Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.

February 2015

NMR Site Files – B/W Photos
Over 700 newly digitised photographs, many from the National Buildings Record (NBR) which had an extensive programme of rapid photographic survey to record important structures before their potential destruction through enemy action during the Second World War. The Welsh NBR material consists mainly of high quality unique photographic records which we will be featuring in future blog posts.

Photo surveys from 1934-1960 of the following sites:
  • St Mary's Church, Haverfordwest: C600808 
  • St Mary's Church, Burton: C600868 
  • St Mary's Church, Carew: C600872 
  • Amroth Church: C600878 
  • Lampeter Velfrey Church: C600880 
  • Llangwm Church: C600887 
  • Llawhaden Church: C600894 
  • Loveston Church: C600901 
  • Hafotty, Llansadwrn: C600913 
  • Manorbier Church: C600914 
  • Monkton Priory: C600916 
  • Nevern Church: C600928 
  • Penally Church: C600933 
  • Pwllcrochan Church: C600936 
  • Robeston Church: C600946 

Detail view of the Howard Memorial in the south aisle of St Michaels Church, Rodbaxton taken in 1941, NPRN: 308935 Ref: DI2012_2412

  • Rudbaxton Church: C600952 
  • St Dogwell's Church: C600959 
  • St Petrox' Church: C600961 
  • Stackpole Church: C600965 
  • Castlemartin Church: C600974 
  • St Martin's Church: C600982 
  • St Mary's Church, Tenby: C600988 
  • Upton Chapel: C601083 
  • St Thomas' Church, Haverfordwest: C601093 
  • St Brothen's Church, Llanfrothen: C601104 
  • St Cadfan's Church, Tywyn: C601120 

Interior of St Mary’s church, Tal-y-Llyn from 1941: NPRN: 96024 Ref: DI2013_2183

  • St Mary’s, Tal-y-llyn: C601127 
  • Blaen-y-Cwm inscribed stone: C601133 
  • Llys Bradwen: C601136 
  • Craig yr Arian Camp: C601139 
  • Houses in Tywyn: C601147 
  • Dolaugwyn: C601150 
  • St Mary's Church, Llanfair Juxta Harlech: C601159 
  • Parc, Llanfrothen: C601161 
  • Rhual, Mold: C601164 
  • Nercwys Hall: C601172 
  • Fferm House, Flintshire: C601188 
  • Mary's Church, Caerhun: C601201 
  • Maenan Abbey: C601203 
  • Hafod y Celyn: C601205 
  • The Old Rectory, Aber: C601208 
  • Pen y Bryn, Aber: C601212 
  • Bont Newydd, Aber: C601214 
  • Pen y Mwd, Aber: C601216 
  • A round hut in Aber: C601218 
  • Pont y Pair, Bettws y Coed: C601220 
  • Pont yr Afanc, Bettws y Coed: C601268 
  • Coed Mawr, Bettws y Coed: C601274 
  • Mynydd Bychan, Bettws y Coed: C601278 
  • Waterloo Bridge, Bettws y Coed: C601281 
  • Arrow Stone at Afon Anafon: C601283 
  • Sheep fold at Afon Anafon: C601286 
  • A stone hut in Aber: C601288 
  • Llanerch y Felin: C601292 
  • Farchwel, Tal-y-bont: C601298 
  • Tai Uchaf: C601301 
  • Ty Gwyn: C601304 
  • Hafod Fach: C601310 
  • Maes y Castell: C601318 
  • Carnedd Penyborth Goch: C601320 
  • Clogwyn yr Eryr: C601322 
  • Pant y Griafolen: C601324 
  • Pont Hafod Ty Gwyn: C601326 
  • Caerhun Hall: C601328 
  • Ffon y Cawr Stone: C601374 
  • Conwy: C601378 
  • Wern Arthen: C601386 

Surveying a cist near Maen y Bardd in 1950 NPRN: 300926 ref: DI2013_2601

  • Cist near Maen y Bardd: C601585 
  • Powys Castle: C601588 
  • Maen y Bardd Burial Chamber: C601360 
  • Bryn Moel: C601364 
  • Castell, Caerhun: C601368 
  • Bwlch y Ddeufaen Stone: C601371 
  • Nant: C601388 
  • Rowlyn Uchaf: C601332 
  • St Mary's Church, Conwy: C601390 
  • Parlwr Mawr: C601976 
  • Conwy town walls: C601981 
  • Burial Chamber: C601985 
  • Royal Oak, Llangybi: C601994 

View of Newport Castle taken during building work: NPRN: 93389 Ref: DI2012_2492

  • Ministry of Works photos of Newport Castle, Monmouthshire: C601021 
  • Ministry of Works photos of Neath Abbey: C601034 
  • Ffynnon Gybi, Holywell: C601074 
  • Llawhaden Castle: C601077 
  • Tintern Abbey: C601601 
  • Skenfrith Castle: C601608 
  • Conwy Castle: C601478 
  • Conwy Town Walls: C601560 
  • Aberconwy House: C601965 
  • Tretower Castle: C601620 
  • Crickhowell Castle: C601630 
  • Gilwern: C601633 
  • Llangorse Lake: C601635 
  • Brecon Cathedral: C601637 
  • White Castle: C601671 
  • Trellech Church: C601644 
  • Usk Priory Church: C601646 
  • Usk Castle: C601649 
  • Bigsweir Bridge: C601654 
  • Llandogo Priory: C601656 
  • Misère carvings St Davids Cathedral: C601661 
  • Llandogo Church: C601687 
  • Llanthony Priory: C601693 
  • Nant Gwyllt Bridge: C601697 
  • Brecon Cathedral: C601699 
  • Honddu Bridge: C601701 
  • Tintern Abbey: C601703 
  • Llanvetherine Church: C601705 
  • Harold's Stones, Trellech: C601708 
  • Christ College, Brecon: C601714 
  • Gaer Llwyd Cromlech: C601716 
  • Roman Steps, Llanbedr: C601718 
  • Caerwent Roman City: C601721 
  • Laugharne Castle: C601724 
  • Caerleon Roman Amphitheatre: C601726 
  • Stone circle at Pontypridd: C601728 
  • Features at St Andrews Church, Tredunnock: C601731 
  • Chepstow Castle: C601733 
  • Moynes Court: C601741 
  • Trellech: C601743 
  • Trellech Motte: C601745 
  • Raglan Castle: C601748 
  • Caldicot Castle: C601750 
View of Waterloo Bridge, Betws-y-Coed in 1951, NPRN: 23839 Ref:DI2014_2141

  • Waterloo Bridge: C601852 
  • Bodfan: C601867 
  • Glynllifon: C601877 
  • Glynllifon standing stone: C601881 
  • Monnow Bridge: C601735 
  • Plas Newydd: C601896 
  • Pont Pen y Llyn: C601899 
  • St Twrog's Church, Llandwrog: C601901 
  • Ty Mawr, Llandwrog: C601907 
  • Priory House, Abergavenny: C601753 
  • Harlech Castle: C601759 
  • Wyelands House: C601767 
  • Caernarfon Town Wall: C601812 
  • Ruperra Castle: C601816 
  • St Bodfan's Church, Aber showing various items of church plate: C601836 
  • Maenan Abbey: C601843 
  • Caernarvon Castle: C601913 
  • Erw Pwll y Glo: C601915 
  • Llanfaglan church and inscribed Stone: C601927, C601924 
  • Collfryn, Llandwrog: C601940 DI2014_2203 
  • St Mary's Church, Llanfair-is-gaer: C601942 
  • Plas Llanfair: C601945 

Investigators' Photographs
  • Photo surveys from 1975 of the following sites: 
  • Gowerton Conservative Club: C601919 
  • Roundhouse Farm, defensive Tower, Nantyglo: C601930 
  • Aberdeuddwr, Nantcwnlle: C601949 
  • Allt-Ddu, Ceulanamaesmawr: C601954 

Emergency Recording Collection
  • 2014 - The former HM Stanley Hospital, St Asaph; digital photographic record and measured drawings: C601660

Investigators' Digital Photography
  • Photo surveys taken 2010-11 of the following sites: 
  • Bethel Chapel: C600908 
  • Froncysyllte Canal Workers Mess, Llangollen C600910 
  • The Globe Hotel, Pontypool: C601340 
  • Photo survey of St Mark’s church, Brithdir: C601537 
  • Bryn-y-odyn, Derwenlas: C601563 
  • Barclays Bank, Aberystwyth: C601583 

Archaeology Wales and Cambrian Archaeological Projects Archives
  • Reports from 2010 & 2012 relating to Aberpergwm Colliery AWP_033 C600646 & C600647
  • 2010-11 Furnace Farm, Eglwysbach, Conwy Valley C600676 & C601081
  • 2011 Swn-y-Clychau, Caerwys C 600718
  • 2010 the Old Bowling Green, Cannons Lane, Presteigne: C600613

Archaeological Reports/Evaluations (non Trust)
  • Making sense of heritage report entitled ‘Pontypridd Railway Station Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taf Historic Building Recording’. Prepared by: Wessex Archaeology in January 2015: C600841
  • Report entitled: 'Exploration of Roman Route from Cae Gaer to Trawscoed' produced by Martin Davies, 19 Nov 2014. Comprises text, maps and photographs. C601673

Cotswold Archaeology Projects Archive
  • Project archives produced in 2013 and 2014 relating to the following sites: 
  • Former Hendre Public House, Trowbridge Cardiff: C601101 
  • Glan yr Afon Gas Works, Ystalyfera, C601113 
  • Mynydd Brombil Meteorological Mast, Margam: C601126 
  • Greyfriars Place/Kingsway Gas Main Replacement, Cardiff: C601132 
  • Land East Of St Nicholas, Vale of Glamorgan: C601140 
  • Bruton Place Gas Main Replacement Cardiff: C601642 

Gwynedd Archaeological Trust Reports
  • Archaeological Assessment of Nant Gwrtheyrn Lower Car Park, Nant Gwrtheyrn, Gwynedd produced by Gwynedd Archaeological Trust in 2013, Project No. G2313, Report No.1208: C601678

Sunter Harrison Collection
  • 157 prints and photocopied images and showing various sites in North East Wales, notes and indexes. Date range: 1935-1990: C5826

Harold Hughes Collection
  • Harold Hughes (1864-1940) was an architect practising in Bangor, in 1900 he was appointed diocesan architect and surveyor.
  • Architects drawings of Cwm Church, Flintshire produced by Harold Hughes, between 1899 and 1901 have now been catalogued: C601382, C601336.

Tretower Court Survey
  • Collection of measured survey drawings of the Tretower Court complex, produced by Plowman Craven Associates for Cadw c.2002 C601392


1933, Menai Bridge Anglesey: The Official Guide, E.J. Burrow, Cheltenham and London.

1934, Llandrindod Wells, Central Wales: an ideal spa for health and holiday, The Official Guide, C.C.Hughes, Llandrindod Wells.

1960, Burrow's reference map of Llanelli, Ed J. Burrow & co. ltd., Cheltenham

1970, Ebbw Vale, Burrow & co. ltd., Cheltenham.

1975, Borough of Llanelli: Visitors Guide and Leisure, Ed. J. Burrow, London.

1986, Ymweliad ei Mawrhydi Elisabeth II a Machynlleth 11eg o Orffennaf, 1986 / Visit of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to Machynlleth 11th July, 1986, Machynlleth Town Council, Machynlleth

1994, Y Gaer: Brecon Roman Fort, Atelier Productions, Borth

2011, Eglwys Sain Nicolas, Y Grysmwnt, Sir Fynwy / St. Nicholas' Church, Grosmont, Monmouthshire

Aberconwy House Conwy / Ty Aberconwy Conwy, The National Trust, Conwy.

Baynes, Norman H., 1952, The Byzantine Empire, Oxford University Press, London.

Buchanan, R. A., 1969, The Industrial Archaeology of Bath, Bath University Press.

Builth Wells and District Chamber of Trade, 1977, Builth Wells and District, Powys: the official guide, Builth Wells and District Chamber of Trade, Powys

Builth Wells & District Heritage Society, 2012, A War of Memories: Builth Wells 1939 – 1945, Builth Wells, Builth Wells

Burn, Michael, (n.d), The Age of Slate (abridged), Quarry Tours Ltd., Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Cadw, 1988, West Wales Castles & Historic Places, Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments, Cardiff

Cadw, 1990, Map of Wales: A Map & Gazetteer to the Ancient & Historic Sites in the Care of Cadw, Cadw, Cardiff

Cadw, 1993, Castles & Historic Places: North & Mid Wales, Cadw, Cardiff

Clarke, M.L., 1966, An Architectural History and Guide, University College of North Wales, Bangor.

Clements, Bill, 2011, Martello Towers Worldwide, Pen & Sword, Barnsley.

Corbishley, Mike, 1999, Journey Through History: Souvenir Poster and Map, featuring 45 ‘Time Trails’, English Heritage.

Cozens, Lewis,1954, The Mawddwy Railway with the Hendre-Ddu Tramway, Lewis Cozens, London.

Crwys, 1931, Cerddi Crwys: yn cynnwys 'Gwerin Cymru' a chaniadau eraill, Hughes and Son, Wrecsam

Davies, David Wyn, 1981, Machynlleth Town Trail, Machynlleth and District Civic Society, Machynlleth.

Davies, David Thomas, 1910, Hanes eglwysi a phlwyfi Lleyn / gyda rhagair gan y tra Pharch Ddeon Bangor [i.e. Griffith Roberts]; dan olygiaeth D.T. Davies, Ficer Tydweiliog, Argraffwyd gan Richd. Jones, Pwllheli

Davies, Elgan Philip, 2011, Yr Hen goleg / The Old College, Gwasg Gomer, Llandysul

Day, James, 1848, A Practical Treatise on the Construction and Formation of Railways, 3rd ed, John Weale, London.

Denman, Michael, 2013, The Llanelly Railway and Dock Company: The Heart of Wales Pioneer, Wider View, Ilminster.

Drew, John H.,1967, The Welsh Road and the Drovers,(reprinted from the transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society Vol.82.), Oxford University Press.

Edmunds, Morgan, 1910, The New Hengoediana, or, The history of Hengoed Baptist Church, from the earliest times to the present day, H.W. Southey, Merthyr Tydfil.

Edwards, Thomas, 1909, Gwaith Twm o’r Nant, Ab Owen, Llanuwchllyn.

Edwards, Owen M., Cartrefi Cymru, Hughes A'I Fab, Wrecsham

Eglwys Annibynol, 1924, Eglwys Annibynol. Salem, Tresalem Aberdar. Adroddiad, Stephens A. George, Aberdar.

Eglwys Sardis (Waunarlwydd, Wales), 1960, Hanes Eglwys Sardis Waunarlwydd 1860 – 1960, John Penry, Swansea.

Evans, D. J. Goronwy, 1977, Penrhiw, Gwasg Gomer, Llandysul

Festiniog Railway Company, 1996?, Rheilffordd Ffestiniog Railway Guide Book. Festiniog Railway Company, Porthmadog.

Floud, Peter, 1954, Castell Coch Glamorgan: Official guide, H.M.S.O., London

Freeman, Michael, 1995, The Coliseum: The History of a Cinema and Theatre in Pictures, Cyngor Dosbarth Ceredigion, Aberystwyth.

Goodchild, C.R., Ramblers' Guide to the Field Paths Round Llandudno, Geographia Ltd, London

Grimes, W.F., 1930, Holt, Denbighshire: The Works Depot of the Twentieth Legion at Castle-Lyons, The Society, London

Gilyard-Beer, R., 1958, Abbeys: An Introduction to the Religious Houses of England and Wales, H.M.S.O., London.

Griffith, Edward, 1914, Hanes Methodistiaeth Trefaldwyn Isaf, Cyfarfod Misol, Caernarfon.

Harlech, William Ormsby-Gore, Baron, 1973, Southern England, H.M.S.O., London.

Head, Francis Bond, 1849, High-Ways & Dry-Ways; or, The Britannia and Conway Tubular Bridges, John Murray, London.

Hill, Elvina, 2011, Whimberries on the Coity: Garn-yr-Erw in the 1940s, Old Bakehouse Publications, Abertillery

Horne, Charles Silvester, 1903, A Popular History of the Free Churches, James Clarke & Co, London.

Howse, W. H.,2001, Disserth, Radnorshire: Its Church and its History and Folk-Lore, Sayce Brothers, Llandrindod Wells.

Hughes, Henry, 1896, Trefecca, Llangeitho, a'r Bala: hanes y pethau mwyaf hynod a fu ynddynt; gyda dau-ar-bymtheg o ddarluniau, Swyddfa'r Wasg Genedlaethol Gymreig, Caernarfon

Hughes, John, 1850, Methodistiaeth Cymru: Sef Hanes Blaenorol a Gwedd Bresenol y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd yn Nghymru, Volume I, Hughes and Son, Wrexham

Hughes, John, 1954, Methodistiaeth Cymru: sef Hanes blaenorol a gwedd bresenol y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd yn Nghymru: Cyfrol II, Hughes a'i Fab, Gwrecsam.

Humpfreys, B, 1909, Hanes Bedyddwyr Felinfoel, Argraffwyd yn Swyddfa'r 'Mercury,' Llanelli

James, J. Spinther, 1907, Hanes y Bedyddwyr yn Nghymru o'r Chwildroad Protestanaidd. Vol IV, Seren Cymru, Caerfyrddin.

Jones, J. Morgan, 1895, Y Tadau Methodistaidd: Eu Llafur a'u Llwyddiant Gyda Gwaith Yr Efengyl yn Nghymru, trefydd Lloegr, America ac Awstralia, Volume 1, Lewis Evans, Abertawe.

Jones, Simon B.,1938, Hanes Peniel a Bwlchycorn, J. D. Lewis a'I Feibon, Llandysul.

Keyser, Charles E., 1927, Church of the Holy Trinity, Monmouthshire: An Architectural Survey, The Newport Printing Co. Ltd.

Langenbach, Randolph, 1968, The Amoskeag Millyard: An Epic in Urban Design, Harvard University, Boston.

Lee, Charles E., 1963, The Welsh Highland Railway, The Welsh Highland Railway Society and David & Charles, Dawlish.

Lewis, P.R., 1970, Roman Gold-Mining in North-West Spain, Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies, London.

Littlewood, Kevin, 1991, From the Valley to the Bay: A Scenic Walk from Merthyr Tydfil to Cardiff, The Taff Trail Project, Glamorgan

London Transport, London's Industrial Archaeology, Greater London Industrial Archaeology Society, London.

Lowe, W. Bezant, Ramblers’ Guide to Llandudno and Conway District, Geographia LTD, London.

Lloyd, D. T.,1972, Braslun o Hanes Ebenezer, Llangybi, Rev D. Arthur Thomas, Holyhead.

Lloyd, J. D. K.,1936, Montgomery: Official Guide, Montgomery Corporation, Montgomery.

Lloyd, T. R., 1906, Y Methodistiad Calfinaidd yn Mhontardawe, Joseph Williams & Sons, Swyddfa'r "Tyst", Merthyr Tydfil.

Morgan, Richard,1993, Enwau Lleoedd Buallt a Maesyfed, Carreg Gwalch, Capel Garmon.

Morganwg, Dafydd, 1874, Hanes Morganwg, Jenkin Howell, Aberdar.

Morris, James, 1911, Hanes Methodistiaeth Sir Gaerfyrddin, E. W. Evans, Dolgellau.

Morris, R.M., 1995, Caernarfon Castle and Town: an educational resource pack, Welsh Historic Monuments, Cardiff.

Morris, R.M., 1995, Caernarfon Castell a Thref: Pecyn Adnoddau Addysgol, Welsh Historic Monuments, Cardiff.

Musgrave, Clifford, 1972, Arundel Castle: Ancestral Home of the Dukes of Norfolk for 500 Years, Pitkin Pictorials, London.

Northern Ireland, Ministry of Finance, 1964, A Guide to Dunluce Castle, County Antrim, H.M.S.O., Belfast.

O’Kelly, Michael J. 1960, A Wedge-shaped Gallery Grave at Baurnadomeey, Co. Tipperary, Journal of the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society, Vol. LXV.

O'Neil, B. H. St. J., 1973, Castles, H.M.S.O., London.

Owen, Goronwy P., 1978, Methodistiaeth Llŷn ac Eifionydd : sef twf Methodistiaeth yn Llŷn ac Eifionydd Lyd 1811, Henaduriaeth Llŷn ac Eifionydd, Pwllheli.

Penman, David, 1947, The Principles and Practice of Mine Ventilation: Being a Treatise on Modern Methods of Mine Ventilation, with a Consideration of Deep Mine Problems, Explosions, Fires, Rescue and Recovery Work and Cognate Subjects, C. Griffin, London.

Phillips, Alan, 1961, Caernarvon Castle, Castell Caernarfon, H.M.S.O., London.

Pike, L. Elgar, 1958, Maelor Rural District – Flints: The Official Guide, The Home Publishing Co., Croydon.

Porteous, Jean, 2011, Braslun o Hanes Tabernacl Aberaeron / Tabernacle Aberaeron: an outline history.

Poucher, Phil, 2009, Aberteifi: 900 Years of History at the Home of the Eisteddfod, Ymddiriedolaeth Archaeolegol Dyfed, Llandeilo.

Rawlins, Bert J., 1987, The Parish Churches and Nonconformist Chapels of Wales: Their Records and Where to Find Them. Vol I. Celtic Heritage Publishing, Utah.

Rees, Paul,1978, A Guide to the Industrial Heritage of Merseyside, North Western Society for Industrial Archaeology and History.

Rees, Thomas, 1871, Hanes Eglwysi Annibynol Cymru: Cyf. I, Swyddfa y "Tyst Cymreig", Liverpool.

Rees, Thomas, 1872, Hanes Eglwysi annibynol Cymru: Cyf. II, Swyddfa y "Tyst Cymreig", Liverpool.

Rees, Thomas, 1873, Hanes Eglwysi annibynol Cymru: Cyf. III, Swyddfa y "Tyst Cymreig", Liverpool.

Rees, W. B.,1980, Deer Park Baptist Church Tenby, 1830 – 1980, Diamond Press, Pembroke.

Rhys, Glyn, 2014, Castles of our Princes: Time Lines, Y Lolfa, Talybont.

Richards, D. B., 1896, Cymanfaoedd Bedyddwyr Cymru 1896, Cwmafon, Swansea.

Saxton, W. A., 1987, Health to the Pilgrim Through Laugharne, Dyllansow Truran, Redruth.

Shoesmith, R.1971, Hereford City Excavations 1970, R.H. Johns Ltd., Newport, Mon.

Simpson, W. Douglas, 1959, Scottish Castles: An Introduction to the Castles of Scotland, H.M.S.O., Edinburgh.

South Wales Institute of Engineers, 1884-85, Transactions, Volume XIV, Spottiswood and Co, London.

Thorne, Dilys M.,1986, Crane Street Baptist Church, Pontypool, 1836-1986, Crane Street Baptist Church, Pontypool.

Undeb yr Annibynwyr Cymraeg, 1909, Y Caniedydd Cynulleidfaol: Yr Emynau, Novello, Llundain.

Wall, Wm. B.,1909, Ancient Churches in South Pembrokeshire.

Welsh Highland Light Railway, More about the Welsh Highland Light Railway, Welsh Highland Light Railway (1964) Ltd., Newton Abbot.

Wheeler, Mortimer,1957, Roman Archaeology in Wales. A Tribute to V. E. Nash-Williams, British Broadcasting Corporation, London.

Wiliam, Mary, Wiliam, Eurwyn, Wiliam, Dafydd, The Brynmawr Furniture Makers: a Quaker Initiative 1929-40, Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, Llanrwt.

Williams, W. Samlet, 1916, Hanes Methodistiaeth Gorllewin Morgannwg: Cyfrol I, Cwmni y Cyhoeddwr Cymreig, Caernarfon.

Williams-Ellis, Clough, 1937, Britain and the Beast, J.M. Dent and Sons, London.


British Archaeology no. 141 (March/April 2015)

BSI Update Standards (February 2015)

Building Conservation Directory 2015

CBA Newsletter no. 33 (Spring 2015)

Chapels Society Newsletter no. 58 (January 2015)

Current Archaeology nos. 299 and 300 (February & March 2015)

Maritime Wales / Cymru a’r Môr vol. 35 (2014)

Pembrokeshire Life (February 2015)

Site Recorder no. 1582 (February 2015)

Salon: Society of Antiquaries Newsletter no. 336 [electronic journal]

Journals Current Awareness

British Archaeology no. 141 (March/April 2015), p. 11: ‘Britain in Archaeology’ section, a late bronze age collection of ten metal objects found at Marloes and St. Brides in Pembrokeshire has been declared treasure.

Current Archaeology nos. 299 & 300: regular column ‘Sherds: from the towel’s edge’ by Christopher Catling, Contributing Editor - and Secretary of the RCAHMW!

Site Recorder no. 1582, p. 8: ‘Focus on... Traditional green-oak timber framed construction... part 1’ by Alan Creasey

Contact us
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:

NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Crown Building,
Plas Crug,
SY23 1NJ

Telephone: +44 (0)1970 621200
Fax: +44 (0)1970 627701

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Friday, 20 February 2015

One Hundred Years Ago Today…

Over 170 ships, aircraft and airships were lost due to enemy action or supporting the war effort round the coast of Wales.
…. the Cardiff-registered steamship, CAMBANK, became the first casualty of a German u-boat in Welsh waters during the Great War 1914–18.

The U-boat campaign began on 4 February 1915, when the German High Command announced that any merchant shipping in the vicinity of Britain and Ireland were to be regarded as legitimate targets. The shipping lanes passing up the St George’s Channel, along the North Wales coast into the Mersey and along the south Wales coast to Swansea, Barry and Cardiff were extremely important for essential imports of food and materials to keep industry running and to support the war effort. In all, over 170 merchant ships, naval vessels, aircraft and airships were lost.

The front cover of one of the surviving crew lists for the CAMBANK from the collections of Glamorgan Archives. A very special thank you to Rhian Phillips, Senior Archivist, for allowing us to include the document on Peoples Collection Wales website.
A new collection on the People’s Collection Wales site is beginning to explore some of the stories.

The CAMBANK was built by John Readhead & Sons, South Shields, in 1899, for the shipping line, W.J Runciman & son as the RAITHMOOR. It was sold to the Merevale Shipping Company of Cardiff in 1913, which changed the vessel's name to CAMBANK to match the line's own naming tradition. William Evans Thomas was the nominated manager of 17 Merchants Exchange, Bute Street.

At 11am on 20 February 1915, the CAMBANK was torpedoed by German U-30 off Point Lynas, Anglesey. It had been on passage from Huelva to Garston with a cargo of copper. The vessel sank within 20 minutes. The ship’s lifeboats, containing the 21 surviving crew members, were taken in tow by the Bull Bay lifeboat and then the armed yacht ORIANA to be landed at Amlwch.

Today, at 11am, the Royal Commission and the People’s Collection Wales will be remembering Joseph William Boyle, age 30, Third engineer; Michael Lynch, age 30, Fireman and Trimmer; Robert Quigley, age 34, Donkeyman; and Charles Sinclair, age 36, Fireman and Trimmer – and their families.

Commemorating all who gave their lives for their country but have no grave but the sea.


Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Tuesday, 17 February 2015

Dates for Your Diary: A Warm Welcome to All

18 February, National Library of Wales lunchtime talk by Royal Commission architectural historian, Richard Suggett, on Snowdonian Houses in context. To be held at 1.15pm in the Drwm of the National Library of Wales. Free admission by ticket. For tickets and further information, please contact

19 February, Stapledon Society, 7.45pm. A talk by Royal Commission aerial archaeologist, Dr Toby Driver, on Light, lasers and cropmarks: Aerial archaeology and discovery in Wales, to the Stapledon Society, A14 Hugh Owen Building, Aberystwyth University Penglais Campus.

21 February, CPRW Llanidloes, 2pm. An illustrated talk by Royal Commission photographer Iain Wright, on Location Photography: a privileged life, at Plas Dolerw, Newtown.

21 February, Sir John Rhŷs Joint Conference held in partnership with Aberystwyth University, National Library of Wales and the Royal Commission, 10am–4.30pm. At 3.30pm, Richard Suggett will be speaking on Sir John Rhŷs and the foundation of the Royal Commission. This is the first of two conferences celebrating the achievements of Sir John Rhŷs first chairman of the Royal Commission, and famous Welsh philologist and folk-loreist. The conference will be held in the Seddon Room, Old College, Aberystwyth.

7 March, Carmarthenshire Archaeology Day organised by Dyfed Archaeological Trust, 10am–4.30pm. The Royal Commission will be supporting this event with an exhibition stand and a member of staff. The event will be held in the Lliedi Suite, Selwyn Samuel Centre, Llanelli. For further details please contact:

11 March, Borth Branch of the Royal British Legion, 7pm. A talk by Royal Commission military expert, Medwyn Parry, on World War I remains in Wales, at Borth Community Hall, Borth.

11 March, Aberystwyth and District Civic Society, 7.30pm. A talk by Royal Commission archaeologist, Louise Barker, on Welsh Slate and World Heritage, looking forward to the Royal Commission’s forthcoming publication: Welsh Slate: Archaeology and History of an Industry. This will be held in St. David’s Presbyterian Church Hall, Bath Street, Aberystwyth.

29 April, Spring Seminar of the Brecon & Radnor branch of The Campaign for the Protection of Rural Wales (CPRW), 2.30pm. A talk by Royal Commission senior archaeologist, David Leighton, on Archaeology and the Welsh Landscape, at the Elan Valley Visitor Centre, Rhayader, Powys, LD6 5HP.

9 May, The Big Welsh Walk: The Source of the Usk. Guided walk in partnership with Ramblers Cymru and Cadw. This walk will take in the upper reaches of the River Usk as far as its source (below the cliffs of Fan Brycheiniog and Bannau Sir Gaer) and the far eastern side of Mynydd Du. Sites of the prehistoric, Roman, medieval & later periods can be seen along this route. Meet at 10.30 am at the parking and picnic area at Pont ar Wysg at SN82002715. This is an energetic walk that will require determined application and a good level of fitness. Places are limited. For further details and booking, please contact:, Tel: 01970 621248.

16 May, Family and Local History Fair at National Library of Wales 10am–4pm. Organised by the Association of Family History Societies of Wales and Cardiganshire Family History Society, this event will host a wide variety of stalls – family and local history societies, military, maps, books, old postcards, as well as a stand from the Royal Commission. Come and discover more about where our ancestors lived, worked and worshipped in Wales.

Festival of British Archaeology, 11─26 July
Events to be confirmed.

Royal Commission travelling exhibitions

Inside Welsh Homes is a successful travelling exhibition of images drawn from the Royal Commission’s unique visual archive of the architecture and archaeology of Wales. It offers a privileged glimpse inside Welsh homes over time, from cottages to country houses, and from medieval hall-houses to post-war pre-fabs. The exhibition is a tour of the most distinctive rooms of Welsh houses past and present ranging from living rooms, kitchens, dining rooms, bathrooms, bedrooms and lofts, to libraries.
  • Aberystwyth Arts Centre, 11 April – 6 June 2015

Britain from Above: Wales is the Royal Commission’s travelling exhibition of the oldest and most intriguing of the Aerofilms historic aerial photographs. The Aerofilms Collection is a unique archive of one million aerial photographs dating from 1919 to 2006. With photographs drawn from across Wales, this exhibition of unfamiliar images of familiar places will encourage audiences to explore the meaning and impact of change, place and memory.
  • Aberystwyth Arts Centre, 21 March – 16 May 2015
  • Plas Llanerchaeron, Aberaeron, 20 July – 25 September 2015
  • Swansea City Library, 20 July – 14 September 2015
  • Rhyl Library, 18 September – 30 October 2015

Worktown: The Drawings of Falcon Hildred is a panel-based exhibition of the work of Falcon Hildred, the highly accomplished landscape artist from Blaenau Ffestiniog. Since the late 1950s, Falcon Hildred’s mission has been to make a visual record of the buildings of a disappearing industrial culture, which he calls collectively “worktown”. His meticulous and highly evocative drawings of mills, factories, quarries, workers’ houses, libraries, chapels and many other sites and buildings capture the industrial age in all its grimy vitality.
  • Maenofferen Centre, Blaenau Ffestiniog, 6 February – 22 April 2015

For further information on any of these events, please visit the Home page of our website

or contact Nicola Roberts, Public Engagement Officer:, Tel: 01970 621248.

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Monday, 16 February 2015

The Eye in the Sky - Britain From Above

Bangor Station, North Wales on 11 July 1946
In Model Railway Journal no.235 is a short article, ‘The Eye in the Sky’ by Charlotte Hill, about images in the Aerofilms collection and their use for railway modelling and historical research. The collection is owned jointly by English Heritage, the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland and the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales and can be accessed online at Here is a sample image from Wales: Bangor Station on the north Wales main line photographed on 11 July 1946, showing the goods yard, locomotive depot and part of the station. Incidentally, does anyone know what was the large, north-light roofed railway building on the left? 

By Brian Malaws

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Wednesday, 11 February 2015

RunCoCo Present How To Run A Community Collection Online

Yvla Berglund Prytz from the University of Oxford will be speaking at Digital Past about RunCoCo, an Oxford Community Collection model that brings together online crowdsourcing and face-to-face engagement, and which has successfully been used to create digital, user-generated collections since 2008.

Yvla will be introducing the model and demonstrating how it can be adapted to suit different projects and communities. Some of the successful and wide-ranging projects undertaken will also be showcased, including collections on First World War memorabilia, through to freely available Anglo-Saxon educational material.

Twitter: @RunCoCo

Digital Past 2015
Conference Registration Details

Organised by: +Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Reflectance Transformation Imaging

Kathryn Piquette from the University of Cologne will be at Digital Past speaking and hosting a workshop on Reflectance Transformation Imaging (RTI). This advanced photographic technique provides high resolution documentation of surfaces/objects and enables the user to virtually relight and artificially enhance faint marks and other features, such as increasing the legibility of inscriptions on a variety of materials such as papyrus, clay or stone and thus aiding understanding for both archaeological and conservation purposes.

A topic of great interest to anyone working with heritage objects, including archaeologists, historians, librarians, museums curators, conservators and photographers.


Digital Past 2015
Conference Registration Details

Organised by: +Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:


Related Posts with Thumbnails