Posts Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts      All Comments Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts     Cymraeg

Tuesday, 30 June 2015

National Monuments Record of Wales Archives and Library Bulletin - June 2015

Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed.

Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00, Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.

June 2015


Vernon D. Emmanuel Collection
Digital photographs showing:
  • Aspects of several iron and steel works in South Wales, taken by Vernon Emmanuel between 1970-1990: C606486 
  • Aspects of Carmathen Bay and Usk power stations, taken by Vernon Emmanuel between 1970-1990: C606544 
  • Cefn Golau cholera cemetary, Tredegar, taken by Vernon Emmanuel in 1981 and a digital account of the cholera epidemics of 1832-33 and 1866: C606845 
  • Miscellaneous sites in South Wales, including chapels, brickworks and lime quarries, taken by Vernon Emmanuel in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s: C607308 

Headland Archaeology Projects Archive
Project archives relating to archaeological monitoring and investigation conducted by Headland Archaeology (UK) Ltd. into the following sites and events:
  • The removal of church pews during renovation work at Ss Peter, Paul and John, Llantrisant Fawr, Dec 2014: C606588 
  • Land at Langton Farm, Scleddau, March 2015: C606591 

Entrance area hedge removed and stripped, taken at archaeological watching brief at Princes Gate Spring Water ref: HAP008_02_02_15, C606632
  • The installation of two wind turbines and associated work at Princes Gate Spring Water, 2014: C606613, C606615, C606616 and C606617 
  • The installation of a single wind turbine and associated work at Newlands Farm, Port Talbot, 2014: C606660 
  • Engineering pits at Llwyn Celyn Farmstead, Cwmyoy, 2015: C606713 

Photo taken during a Watching Brief carried out during the installation of a single wind turbines and associated work at Newlands Farm, Port Talbot, ref: HAP009_02_11, C606673

Persons Collection
Review of the biography "Edward Thomas:From Adlestrop to Arras" by Jean Moorcroft Wilson, produced by John Sutherland and published in The Times, Sat May 23rd, 2015. Edward Thomas was a Commissioner for a brief period: C606576

Obituary for the Earl of Plymouth (former Chair of RCAHMW ) published in The Times, 4th Oct 1943: C606897

Black and white photograph of Douglas Hague, taken at Worthing: C606901

RCAHMW Digital Survey
Archive relating to an RCAHMW digital survey of Pont Ceunant Hydro-Electric power Station: C606725

Emergency Recording Collection
Digital photographic record of Monfryn Cottage, Bwlch Derwyn, produced by Trevor Allinson 2014-15 and deposited with NMRW as a condition of planning consent: C606756

Monfryn Cottage, taken by Trevor Allinson, Feb 2015, ref: ERC2015_002_41, C606784

Digital photographic record (Jan 2015) and measured drawings (2013) of Bethany English Baptist Church, Treherbert produced by Alwyn Jones Architects, 2013-15, and deposited with NMRW as a condition of planning consent: C607244, C607255

Report comprising colour photographs, measured plans and elevation drawings of Bethany English Baptist Church, Treherbert produced by Alwyn Jones Architects, 2013-15, and deposited with NMRW as a condition of planning consent: C607252

Digital photographic record (April 2015) and measured drawings (2014) of Trinity English C.M. Chapel, Tonypandy produced by H.D. Williams, 2014-15, and deposited with NMRW as a condition of planning consent: C607276

Melin - Journal of the Welsh Mills Society Collection
Box of Illustrative material submitted for inclusion in Melin - the journal of the Welsh Mills Society. Donated by the editor of the journal, Brian Malaws: C606734

RCAHMW Digital Survey Collection
Lan Lash Farm Complex: archive relating to a revision of an RCAHMW digital survey of Lan Lash Farm in 2010: C606751

Pont Ceunant Hydro-Electric Power Station: Archive from an RCAHMW digital survey archive of Pont Ceunant Hydro-Electric Power Station in August 2012: C606725

Llanelwedd Pillow Mound Excavation Archive
One box containing a black and white photographic survey of excavations on both pillow mounds 1 and 2, at Llanelwedd, carried out by C.J. Spurgeon of the RCAHMW: C606805

General Digital Donations Collection
"Jottings and Historical Records with Index on the History of South Pembrokeshire Vol.2 Manorial Accounts 1324-1333". Research notes compiled by Basil H.J. Hughes, 1996: C606820

"Pembrokeshire Places & People; central and northern area; Haverfordwest including coal mining - Rhoose Hundred.odt.". Research notes compiled by Basil H.J. Hughes, 2015: C606822

"Pembrokeshire - the Milford Haven Rhoose Hundred". Research notes compiled by Basil H.J. Hughes, 2015: C606824

Report on an excavation of the Sarn Helen Roman Road at Lledrod Ceredigion, prepared for Trisgell Ltd by Dr Iestyn Jones of Archaeology Wales, June 2015: C607230

Unpublished Dissertations
Unpublished Master’s thesis entitled " A Reassessment of the Neolithic Chambered Tombs of South-West Wales (Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire) produced by Christopher Thompson Barker, 1990: C606855

History of the Royal Commission
Various materials relating to the history of the Royal Commission including:
  • Notes from early Commissioners meetings including programmes of visits, dated 1909-1915. 606865 
  • Bound volume entitled Minutes of Evidence Report IX (1931) questionnaires reports of Inspectors of Ancient Monuments 606866 
  • Nine reports of the Royal Commission, presented to both Houses of Parliament by Command of His Majesty, between 1910 and 1931. 606867 
  • Bound volume entitled Minutes of Evidence, Volume 1, 1912 (2 copies). 
  • Schedule of parishes for Montgomery compiled for RCAHMW Inventory 
  • Comments on the Pembrokeshire Inventory compiled by C. Fox and E. Owen. 
  • Witness questionnaires produced for RCAHMW Cardiff meeting, c.1910. 
  • Caricature of Dr Hogg, produced by Leonard Monroe, the caption reads "Extract from Secretary's Report - It is essential that the Secretary should have leisure to digest the material put before him" 
  • Group photograph of staff and Commissioners at Gliffaes Hotel, 1982. 

Additional Information
  • Report and sketch plans relating to earthworks around Trueman's Hill, Hawarden, produced by Tom Welsh, c.2015: C606876 
  • Report entitled "Memorial of the Corporation of Carnarvon praying the Arbitration Committee of the Privy Council to locate the Welsh National Museum in Carnarvon Castle in the said Borough" 1905: C606881 
  • Copy of a guidebook dated 2000 relating to St Twrog's Church, produced by Revd R. Lewis Edwards: C607326 
  • Copy of a guidebook entitled Welsh Gold The story of Gwynfynydd Gold Mine, dated 1993: C607329 
  • Copies of measured drawings showing the underground layout at Gwynfynydd Gold Mine 1985-1996: C607333 
  • Field drawings produced by Brian Malaws during his visit to Gwynfynydd Gold Mine, Feb 1999: C607334 

Cambrian Archaeological Projects Archive
Digital photographs from a desk based assessment and standing building recording relating to Furnace Farm, Eglwysbach, Conwy Valley. CAP Report Number 634: C606882

Wrecks Collection
Undated black and white photograph showing the vessel River Loyne alongside a quayside with transit sheds and LMS railway wagons in the background: C606892

Archaeological Diving Unit Archive
24 colour slides and associated list relating to dives in Wales produced by the Archaeological Diving Unit and transferred to NMRW by Historic England: C607306

Letter and report relating to 2000 field work on Pwll Fanog, produced by D.M. McElvogue and transferred to NMRW by Historic England: C607307

Drawings Collection
Felin Dulas, Penrhos, Anglesey; Vertical section/projection of millwork, produced by John Crompton, 2007: C606893

Felin Dulas, Penrhos, Anglesey; plan/projection of millwork, produced by John Crompton, 2007: C606894

Felin Dulas, Penrhos, Anglesey; measured drawings comprising north-east elevation, stone floor plan and ground floor plan, produced by John Crompton, 2007: C606895

Detailed measured drawing of the wheel at Melin Gwna, Bodorgan, produced by John Crompton: C606896

Cambrian Archaeological Projects Archive
Evaluation brief and measured drawings relating to Archaeological Watching Brief and Desk Based Assessment for the Old Bowling Green, Cannons Lane, Presteigne. CAP Report Number 653: C606898

NMR Site Files
Black and white photograph showing Melin Adda taken by Leonard Monroe, undated: C606930

Black and white photograph showing Penmon Priory Dovecot taken by Leonard Monroe, undated: C606931

Black and white photograph of a c1845 woodcut engraving showing a romanticised view of a pigsty near Llandaff: C606933

Descriptive text and measured drawings by Alwyn B. Walters, 1929, published in The Architects' Journal for November 20, 1929: C607171

RCAHMW photo survey of Lymore Hall, comprising two black and white photographs, c1910: C607172

Postcard showing exterior view of Lymore Hall with Royal shooting party in the foreground, loaned for copying by Thomas Lloyd, c1909: C607191

Olwen M. Jenkins Slide Collection
Colour slides showing buildings in Blaenavon, produced by Olwen Jenkins, 2002: C606979

Corpus of Early Medieval Inscribed Stones Publication Collection
Digital drawings of inscribed stones, distribution maps, alphabets and patterns. Produced by RCAHMW, as published in A Corpus of Early Medieval Inscribed Stones and Stone Sculptures in Wales: Volume 3, 2013: C607002

Line drawing showing the inscribed stone at Ceilwart Isa Farm, Barmouth, ref: CEMS_3_03_06, C607008.
Line drawing showing chi-rhos and crosses (Fig 4.11), ref: CEMS_3_03_27, C607036.

A.J. Parkinson Slide Collection
A further 174 sheets of slides have been catalogued to batch level this month.

Investigators’ Photographs
Photo surveys taken by Brian Malaws in Feb 1999 of the following sites:
  • Gwynfynydd Gold Mine, Ganllwyd: C607349, C607371 
  • Tyddyn Gwladys Gunpowder Works, Ganllwyd: C607361 
  • Tyddyn Gwladys Lead Mine, Ganllwyd: C607402 


The National Monuments Record (England), H.M.S.O., London.

Welsh archaeological conference 4th December 1987 - Aberystwyth recording and records in Welsh archaeology, RCAHMW, Aberystwyth.

Y gweithfeydd glyn ebwy y swyddfeydd cyffredinol/ The works Ebbw Vale the general offices.

Addoldai Cymru/Welsh Religious Buildings Trust, Llwybr ffydd yr undodwyr/Unitarian faith trail, Addoldai Cymru/Welsh Religious Buildings Trust.

Allden, Alison, 1982, An analysis of central government (DAHMB) support in 1982/83 for the recording of archaeological sites and landscapes in advance of their destruction, The Prehistoric Society.

Archaeological Sites and Monuments Record, 1990, Archaeological thesaurus, Archaeological Sites and Monuments Record, Aberdeenshire.

Archaeology Data Service, 2000, Digital archives from excavation and fieldwork : a guide to good practice (edited by Julian Richards and Damian Robinson ; with additional contributions by Tony Austin ... [et al.].), Oxbow Books, Oxford.

The Association of County Archaeological Officers, 1978, A guide to the establishment of sites and monuments records, The Association of County Archaeological Officers.

Bevins, R.E. [et al.], 2010, Mineralization in England and Wales, Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Peterborough.

Bland, Roger and Hobbs, Richard, 2001, Finding our past portable antiquities scheme phase 2: England and Wales application to Heritage Lottery Fund: part 1 outline of project, Resource, London.

Bland, Roger and Hobbs, Richard, 2001, Finding our past the portable antiquities scheme, phase 2: England & Wales outline bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund, Resource, London.

Bland, Roger and Hobbs, Richard, 2001, Finding our past: portable antiquities scheme phase 2: England and Wales application to Heritage Lottery Fund part II: project details, Resource, London.

Bland, Roger and Hobbs, Richard, 2001, Finding our past the portable antiquities scheme, phase 2: England and Wales outline bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund 4. tasks, outcomes and assessment of the scheme, Resource, London.

Brown, John, 1983, Henebion Cymru: historic monuments of Wales: Ways of making them more enjoyable, more enlightening, more profitable, John Brown Tourism Marketing and Development, Worcester.

Business Research Centre, 2001, Survey of UK Vertical Aerial Photography, Business Research Centre, Malmesbury.

Canal & River Trust in Wales, 2014, Beyond the towpath : a ten year strategy for Glandŵr Cymru, Canal & River Trust in Wales, Monmouthshire.

Carrdus. K. and Miller, G., 2000(?), The search for Britain's Lost Unique Hill-Figure, Parchment, Oxford.

Chitty, Gill, 2001, Review of portable antiquities pilot scheme, Hawkshead Archaeology & Conservation, Lancashire.

Chitty, Gill and Edwards, Rachel, 2004, Review of portable antiquities scheme 2004, Hawkshead Archaeology & Conservation, Lancashire.

Country Life, 1962, An index of articles on Houses in Country Life from 2nd. June 1950 to 2nd. August 1962, Inclusive, Typescript.

Cranstone, David, 1985, Park Level Mill, Killhope : interim excavation report, October 1985, Durham County Council, Durham.

Cronin, J. M., 1927, A Welsh reformation chalice at Dowlais, Wales and the Marches Catholic History Society, Cardiff.

Cuevillas, Florentino López, 1968, A edade do ferro na Galiza, Real Academia Gallega, A Cruña.

Davey, Norman, 1923, Studies in tidal power (a facsimile, of the original, in two parts), Constable and Company Limited, London.

Darkes, Giles and Spence, Mary, 2008, Cartography: an Introduction, British Cartographic Society, London.

Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 2004, Protecting our marine historic environment: making the system work better, Department for Culture, Media and Sport, London.

Department of the Environment, Minerals Division,1994, The Reclamation and Management of Metalliferous Mining Sites / Environmental Consultancy University of Sheffield & Richards Moorehead & Laing Ltd., HMSO, London.

English Heritage, 2004, Farming the historic landscape : caring for farm buildings, English Heritage, London.

English Heritage, 2005, Wind energy and the historic environment, English Heritage, London.

English Heritage, 2006, Shoreline management plan review and the historic environment : English heritage guidance, English Heritage, London.

Firth, Antony, 2013, Historic environment guidance for wave and tidal energy, Fjordr Ltd.

Fox, Aileen, 1946, Early Christian period: settlement sites & other remains (Extract from 'a hundred years of Welsh archaeology (1846-1946), Cambrian Archaeological Association, Cardiff.

Fox, Aileen, 1955, Huts and Enclosures on Gripper's Hill in the Avon valley, Dartmoor, Reprint from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association for the Advancement of Science, Literature and Art.

Gaffney, Chris, 2002, The use of geophysical techniques in archaeological evaluations, Institute of Field Archaeologists, Reading.

Gale, Alison, 1995, Between Tides, A Coastal Survey of Carmarthen Bay : A Pilot Project in Maritime Recording for the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales in partnership with Dyfed Archaeological Trust, RCAHMW, Aberystwyth.

Grinsell, L.V.,1970, The Barrows of North Devon, Devon Archaeological Society, Torquay.

Grinsell, L.V., 1971, Somerset Barrows: Part 2: North and East, Somersetshire Archaeological & Natural History Society.

Hodgson, John, 2001, Archaeological reconstruction : illustrating the past, Institute of Field Archaeologists, Reading.

Institute of Field Archaeologists, 1985, The institute of field archaeologists: memorandum and articles of association, Institute of Field Archaeologists.

Jackson, A. A. and Stone, P., 2008, Bedrock geology UK south, British Geological Survey, Nottingham.

Jones, N. W. and Frost, P.,1996, Clwyd Metal Mines Ground Survey 1995, Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, Welshpool.

Jones, N. W. and Frost, P.,1996, Powys Metal Mines Ground Survey 1994, Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, Welshpool.

Jope, E. M., 1952, Regional charter in West Country Medieval pottery, Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society.

Kightly, Charles, 2001, Pobl a lleoedd Sir Ddinbych tua 230,00C.C. 0 O.C. 1700/ Denbighshire people and places C.230,00B.C. - A.D. 1700, Denbighshire County Council, Denbighshire

King, Tony and Williams, Christopher J., 2010, Tŵr y Jiwbilî 1810-2010/ The Jubilee Tower 1810 – 2010, Cadwyn Clwyd.

Kulik, Gary and Bonham, Julia C., 1978, Rhode Island: an inventory of historic engineering and industrial sites, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, DC.

Lee, D.M., 2002, Film and sound archives in non-specialist repositories, Best Practice Guideline 6, Society of Archivists, London.

Lloyd, David, 1976, Save the City : a conservation study of the city of London, Society for the protection of Ancient Buildings.

Lynn-Thomas, John. Col. Sir, 1930, A "Tumulus" that is not a Tumulus. Mabinogion v. Ordnance Survey. Facts and Romance Wedded at Llwyndyrys (Reprinted from Western and South Wales News, Wednesday March 12th 1930).

McCarthy, Dan, 2014, Dalkey Quarry tramway, 1815-c1855, Six Martlets Publishing, Clare.

Miles, Henrietta, 1969, Excavations at Fisherwick, Staffs., 1968 - : A Romano-British Farmstead, and a Neolithic Occupation Site, Extract from Transactions 1968 - 69, Volume X.

Ministry of Works, 1949, War and archaeology in Britain the excavation of ancient sites and the preservation of historic buildings, H.M.S.O., London.

Murphy, K. and Ings, M., 2013, Climate change and the historic environment in Wales: a summary of potential impacts, HEG.

Napier, J., 1851, a manual of electro-metallurgy including the applications of the art to manufacturing processes, R. Griffin and Co., London.

Penn, V. F., 1975, Wall painting in a house in High Street, Walsall, Staffs, South Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society.

R.C.H.M.E., 1991, 50 years of the National Buildings Record,1941-1991 / with an introduction by John Summerson, Trigon Press, Beckenham.

R.C.H.M. England, 1995, Tour of National Monuments Record Centre, C.O.E. Archaeological Heritage/R.C.H.M. England.

RCAHMW, 2005, The National Monuments Records - England, Scotland and Wales, RCAHMW, Aberystwyth.

Rees, Siân E., 1980, Siambr gladdu Parc le Breos Gorllewin Morgannwg / Parc le Breos chambered tomb West Glamorgan, HMSO, Cardiff.

Rutter, J. G., 1969, Industrial archaeology area 1: industrial archaeology in North-East Yorkshire list of sites area 1 Scarborough, Scarborough and District Archaeological Society, Scarborough.

Scott-Morgan, John, 1977, The Corris Railway Company, Gemini Publishing, London.

Severn Estuary Levels Research Committee, 2003, Archaeology in the Severn Estuary, Severn Estuary Strategy.

Silvester, Bob, 1999, Uplands fieldwork in Clwyd and Powys 1989 - 1999 : a synthesis, Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, Welshpool.

Smith, Roland and Cox, Peter, 1986, The past in the pipeline: archaeology of the Esso midline, Trust for Wessex Archaeology, Salisbury.

Thomas, Charles, 1964, Excavations on Ardwall Island, gatehouse of fleet, Kirkcudbrightshire, 1964: preliminary report, Department of Archaeology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh.

Thomas, Charles, 1965, Excavations on Ardwall Island, gatehouse of fleet, Kirkcudbright, 1965: second interim report, Department of Archaeology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh.

Turner, Rick, 2002, Chepstow Castle, Chepstow Bulwarks Camp, Runston Church, CADW, Cardiff.

Willems, Willem J. H., 1999, Archaeology in Britain conference 1997 the future of European archaeology, Oxbow Books, Oxford.

WMS, 2015, Mining technology: technological innovation in the extractive industries -proceedings of the NAMHO conference 2014, The Welsh Mines Society, Llanaber, Gwynedd.

Whybrow, Charles, 1967, Some Multivallte Hill-Forts on Exmoor and in North Devon, Reprint from the Devon Archaeological Society No.25.


Ancient Monuments Society Newsletter no. 02/2015 (Summer 2015)

Ancient Monuments Society Transactions vol. 59 (2015)

Antiquity vol. 89 no. 345 (June 2015)

Archive, the Journal for British Industrial and Transport History no. 86 (June 2015)

British Archaeology no. 143 (July-August 2015)

BSI Update Standards (June 2015)

C20 – the magazine of the Twentieth Century Society no. 2/2015

Carmarthenshire Antiquary vol. 50 (2014)

CBA Newsletter no. 34 (Summer 2015)

Chapels Society Newsletter no. 59 (May 2015)

Current Archaeology no. 304 (July 2015)

The Georgian no. 1/2015

The Georgian Group Journal vol. 23 (2015)

Landscapes vol. 16 no. 1 (June 2015)

Llafur vol. 11 no. 3 (2014)

Past no. 80 (July 2015)

Pembrokeshire Life (June 2015)

Site Recorder no. 1586 (June 2015)

The Victorian no. 49 (July 2015)

Victorian Society Studies in Victorian Architecture and Design vol. 5: Pevsner and Victorian Architecture (2015) [catalogued as a book and kept in the Library]

Welsh History Review vol. 27 no. 3 (June 2015)

Journals Current Awareness

Ancient Monuments Society Newsletter no. 02/2015, pp. 11 & 12, Casework section: Pontypridd, Bethany Baptist Church, proposals to remove some of the pews; Swansea, Siloh Newydd Chapel, Landore, meeting to consider the future in light of dwindling congregation; p. 20, Gleanings section: Tabernacle Baptist Chapel, Talgarth, bought by Alan McGee, former manager of Oasis; proposes to use it for concerts and community events; p. 22, Miscellaneous section: new Cadw CEO and the Historic Environment (Wales) Bill; buildings, esp. chapels, under siege in Wales; 80% cut to Newport Museum and Library; the former holds important artefacts from Tintern Abbey, Blaenavon, and other sites; p. 39: Short review of our Welsh Slate book.

Ancient Monuments Society Transactions vol. 59, p. 23: ‘Two Private Chapels, Two Painted Ceilings: Gwydir Uchaf and Staunton Herald’ by Irene Brightmer

Carmarthenshire Antiquary vol. 50, p. 167: Review of The Western Brecon Beacons: The Archaeology of Mynydd Du and Fforest Fawr by David Leighton

Current Archaeology no. 304, p. 47: Review of Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal by Peter Wakelin

Landscapes vol. 16 no. 1, p. 100: Review of Aerofilms: A History of Britain from Above by James Crawford, Katy Whitaker and Allan Williams

The Victorian no. 49, p. 22: Casework: Wales and the Midlands mentions the demolition threat to the grade II listed Victoria Pier, Colwyn Bay; p. 34: ‘Top Ten most endangered’ mentions emergency repair work on Navigation Colliery, Crumlin, and gives an update on the Coal Excahnge in Cardiff.

Welsh History Review vol. 27 no. 3, p. 417: ‘Family, Land and Inheritance in Late Medieval Wales: A Case Study of Llannerch in the Lordship of Dyffryn Clwyd’ by Llinos Beverley Smith [a former Commissioner]; p. 599: Review by our former colleague Daryl Leeworthy of Proud to be a Swan: The History of Swansea City AFC by Geraint H. Jenkins

Contact us
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:

NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Crown Building,
Plas Crug,
SY23 1NJ

Telephone: +44 (0)1970 621200
Fax: +44 (0)1970 627701

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Sunday, 28 June 2015

One Hundred Years Ago Today…

Painting of the DUMFRIESSHIRE under sail. From the collections of the State Library of Queensland, Australia (

The service life of this elegant deep-ocean voyager came to a tragic and abrupt end when it was torpedoed without warning by a German U-Boat, 25 miles south-west of The Smalls.

Under the command of Captain R. W. Furneaux, the four-masted barque DUMFRIESSHIRE had left San Francisco on the 22 January 1915 for Falmouth to await orders for the cargo that it was carrying to the UK. On receipt of these orders from her owners, the ship was to head north to Belfast to unload, and then it was to go to New York for its next Australia cargo.

When the torpedo exploded, survivors described how the deck was blown into the air. The lifeboats had already been swung out and so the crew, including three Swedes and an American, were able to make their escape before the vessel sank. The periscope of a German submarine was seen by the patrol boats that rushed to the scene, but the U-boat responsible has still to be confirmed. The steam trawler WEYMOUTH would eventually bring the survivors to Milford Haven.

The DUMFRIESSHIRE represents the last days of building large, square-rigged sailing vessels for use across a number of deep-ocean trade routes. The ship was the product of a particular boom, from 1888 to 1893. In these few short years, iron was largely replaced by steel in the shipyards of north-east England, on Clydeside and at Belfast. Improvements in rigging methods, steam engines to help haul sail, and alterations to hull design all combined to produce vessels which were still able to compete with steamships on the long hauls. They relied on crews, as few as 25 in number, to work them, as well as their structural strength to survive the worst the southern oceans could throw at them. Typical cargos were guano and nitrate from South America, coal from Britain to just about anywhere in the world, grain from San Francisco to Liverpool, timber from Oregon and Washington State to Britain, jute from Calcutta and coal from Newcastle, New South Wales to South America. We know the DUMFRIESSHIRE undertook all of these long voyages and circumnavigated the world many times during its 25 years for Thomas Law & Co, Glasgow.



Commemorating all who gave their lives for their country and who have no grave but the sea:

By Deanna Groom, Maritime Officer, RCAHMW

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Monday, 22 June 2015

Update on our Gallipoli landing craft sister-ship RIVER LOYNE

The X215 in its guise as RIVER LOYNE, tied up at quayside. A close look at the deck suggests the ship is loaded with stone.
Copyright: John Clarkson, rights reserved, please contact Reader Services for more information.

A very special thank you to John Clarkson of Preston for providing an image of the RIVER LOYNE in the ship’s later years as a vessel in the stone trade. The steelwork added to build up the landing craft’s sides can clearly be seen, but can anyone confirm the harbour? The London, Midland and Scottish railway wagon in the background may provide a clue …
View: Sister Ship to Gallipoli Landing Craft Lost in Welsh Waters

Many thanks also to John Davies for drawing our attention to another X-lighter, which worked as a water tanker at Swansea, and later at Llanelli. David Mallard ( has kindly provided a synopsis of the history he has compiled over the years – X8 was built by Sir John Lang, Sunderland and converted to a water tanker at Warrens New Holland Shipyard. Given the name TANKARD, X8 was used by the Royal Fleet Auxiliary Service (believed only in the UK) until sold out of service in 1921. TANKARD was acquired on 8 February 1922 by Vauxhall Trading, Sheerness, then to British Tanker Co, Sheerness, on 5 March 1950. TANKARD came to Wales when it was sold to Metal Trading, Swansea, and then to D. D. & Co. G. O. Tate is noted as owning TANKARD from 28 September 1961, until the ship was sold on again to T. L. Jones. As John Davies has confirmed, the former X-lighter was still working in 1974. Can anyone tell us more about TANKARD’s service life in Wales? We’d love to know what happened after TANKARD’s time with the Llanelli Sand Company.

Deanna Groom, Maritime Officer, RCAHMW
Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Friday, 19 June 2015

New ‘Bible’ To Pontcysyllte Published

Britain’s most recent World Heritage Site, Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal, near Wrexham, comes under the spotlight in a new lively, combined history and guide book.

Published in English and Welsh by the Canal & River Trust, in partnership with the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, and with the support of Visit Wales and Cadw, Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal World Heritage Site takes readers on a fascinating journey through time.

Written by historian Dr Peter Wakelin, it examines how and why the aqueduct and canal were built just over 200 years ago, how they influenced the Industrial Revolution and what visitors to the canal can enjoy today – the aqueducts, tunnels, cuttings, embankment, wharfs, settlements and remains of industries. The story is broken down into easily-digested chapters and sections to guide walkers, boaters and visitors by car or bike. There is help too for non-Welsh speakers on pronunciation of the great monument - ‘pont-cuss-ull-teh’ meaning ‘the bridge that joins’.

Each of the main attractions along the 11-mile World Heritage Site is explained and special features are devoted to a range of topics including key figures such as engineers Thomas Telford and William Jessop, canal navvies, boat people, wildlife and other nearby World Heritage sites.

Maps, diagrams, historical photographs and paintings as well as striking reconstruction images all help to illustrate the text and bring this unique canal story to life.

Andrew Stumpf from the Canal & River Trust said: “Every year more than 500,000 people enjoy a visit to the World Heritage Site. We want them to enjoy the experience even more by having a chance to find out about the significance of the structures they are looking at and the role they played not only in local history but in the world. This guide book will both enhance and enrich their experience and, I hope, encourage them to stay longer and explore further”.

“Author Peter Wakelin has done a first rate job in balancing the needs of the serious historian with the casual interest of a day trip visitor. Within the pages of the book are fascinating facts, sumptuous colour illustrations and useful tips on how to get the most out of a visit to the Llangollen, Chirk and the wider area.”

Royal Commission Secretary, Christopher Catling, added: “ Today it is difficult to hear the words “Industrial Revolution” without thinking about human exploitation and climate change but Peter’s book reminds us that it had another side: he shows us that the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal is a magnificent achievement of engineering, ingenuity and architectural beauty.”

The book has been supported by contributions from Visit Wales and Cadw, is priced £9.99 and is available to buy from the Canal & River Trust at Trevor Basin, Anderton Boat Lift, Standedge Tunnel and waterway museums at Ellesmere Port, Gloucester and Stoke Bruerne.

It is also available by post. Please send cheque for £12.50 (includes post and packing), payable to Canal & River Trust, addressed to Jenny Rogers, National Waterway Museum, South Pier Road, Ellesmere Port, CH65 4FW with full postal details or email a contact number to to purchase by credit card.

For more information or to request a review copy of the book, please contact Lynn Pegler / Clive Naish, press officers with Glandŵr Cymru (the Canal & River Trust in Wales).
Email: or 077177 60284.

Notes to editors

Pontcysyllte Aqueduct Facts and Figures
Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal became a World Heritage site in 2009, recognised alongside just 1000 sites around the globe that are deemed to be of outstanding universal value, such as the Grand Canyon, the Pyramids and Stonehenge.
  • The cast iron trough which holds the canal water is 307m long and at its highest point it is 38.4m above the river Dee
  • There are 19 arches, each with a 45ft span.
  • To keep the aqueduct as light as possible, the slender masonry piers are partly hollow and taper at their summit.
  • The aqueduct holds 1.5 million litres of water and takes two hours to drain.
  • Constructed between 1796 and 1805, Pontcysyllte Aqueduct is a grade one listed building and a scheduled ancient monument and forms the centrepiece of the 11 mile World Heritage Site.
Glandŵr Cymru, the Canal & River Trust in Wales, cares for Wales’ historic canals, made up of the Swansea, Llangollen, Montgomery and Monmouthshire & Brecon Canals. Our canals are a haven for people and wildlife and a national treasure. Built over 200 years ago as part of the world’s first industrial revolution, the waterways continue to play an important part in the life of Wales today, making an annual contribution of £34m and supporting 800 jobs in local businesses.

Canal & River Trust cares for 2,000 miles of canals, rivers and docks across England and Wales. It is our job to care for this wonderful legacy – holding it in trust in perpetuity and giving people a greater role in the running of their local waterways. @CanalRiverTrust @crtcomms

Dr Peter Wakelin is a writer and curator who specialises in industrial heritage and Welsh art. He was formerly the Secretary of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales and edited the nomination of Pontcysyllte as a World Heritage site in 2007. He was also a key member of the nomination team for Blaenavon Industrial Landscape World Heritage site in South Wales in 2000. Until recently he was Director of Collections and Research at the National Museum of Wales. His publications include A Guide to Blaenavon Ironworks and World Heritage Site and Hidden Histories: Discovering the Heritage of Wales.

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
The Royal Commission is the investigation body and national archive for the historic environment of Wales. It has the lead role in ensuring that Wales’s archaeological, built and maritime heritage is authoritatively recorded, and seeks to promote the understanding and appreciation of this heritage nationally and internationally. @RCAHMWales

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Monday, 15 June 2015

One Hundred Years Ago Today…

…. 7000 tons of Welsh coal was sent to the bottom of the sea when the steamship STRATHNAIRN was sunk by the German U-boat U-22 in St George’s Channel. The STRATHNAIRN had loaded at Penarth, leaving Cardiff at 8pm the day before, and was heading for Archangel in northern Russia when the torpedo struck at around 9.30pm. There was a massive explosion, which burst the ship’s boiler and soon the ship began to list heavily to port. The crew tried to launch the STRATHNAIRN’s four lifeboats. However, because the ship still had forward momentum, the lifeboat with the Master, Chief Officer and 19 crew members on board was smashed against the side of the ship. Those on board were drowned. Two more lifeboats capsized on being cut clear of their davits. Only the fourth, launched once the ship had come to a standstill, was able to rescue 11 crew members. The Second Officer, James Wood of Belfast, and 10 Chinese sailors (British subjects from Hong Kong) were eventually picked up some three hours later by the schooner, AMANDA of Padstow. They were transferred to two more ships and eventually landed at Milford Haven. Here they were given respite at the Sailors’ Rest Home, established by the bequest of John Cory, the Cardiff ship and colliery owner. Another lifeboat, even though upside down, provided a raft for the survival of the Chief Engineer and a Chinese sailor. They were picked up by the steamship ABBOTSFORD some nine hours later and brought into Swansea. Out of the crew of 33, these were the only survivors. The body of the Chief Officer, Alexander Stewart, was later washed ashore near Berlan Las on 12 July 1915.

The memorial to Alexander Stewart of Dundee, First Mate of the STRATHNAIRN, erected by his wife Catherine in Llandwrog cemetery. The reference to the ‘Scillies’ in the dedication reflects the initial uncertainty about the position of the sinking.
The names of the lost provide a reminder of China’s role in the Great War. At the start, the Chinese republic declared its neutrality, but in secret President Yuan Shikai lobbied Britain to enter the war by retaking the colony of Qingdao, in Shandong province, which had been seized by Germany in 1898. Some 50,000 Chinese troops were promised, but Britain rejected this offer of military personnel. Instead, China began to provide the Great War’s largest and longest-serving non-European workforce. Some 200,000 labourers were transported by sea direct from China, or brought by an overland route via Canada, often in terrible conditions. They dug trenches, repaired tanks, assembled shells for artillery, transported munitions and supplies, and are also noted as carrying water for British troops in an offensive against the Ottoman Empire in Basra, southern Iraq. Up to half a million Chinese worked on the eastern front for Tsarist Russia. Many returned home, but others stayed to set up communities in Paris, London and elsewhere. Much of China’s Great War contribution is only now beginning to be recognised.

Cambrian Daily Leader, 18 June 1915 – the reporting of the role of the ABBOTSFORD notes that the ship was owned by Thomas William Ward Ltd of Sheffield. Ward’s owned scrapyards at Briton Ferry and Newport, as well as at Blyth and Morecambe. These yards recycled 1000 tons of steel per week for conversion into munitions, railway track, etc, in support of the war effort.

Today, we remember:
John Browne, Master; Alexander Stewart, First Mate (Chief Officer); Benjamin Bruce Evans, Third Mate; James Lionel Pemberton, Second Engineer; Peter Whitehill Houston, Third Engineer; and George Flemming, Fourth Engineer

And the following mariners of Chinese origin from Hong Kong:
Ah Fat, Fireman and Trimmer; A Sam, Fireman and Trimmer; Ah Sang, Fireman and Trimmer; Ah Sing, Fireman and Trimmer; Ah Wong, Fireman and Trimmer; Chang Hong, Assistant Steward; Ching Leong, Fireman and Trimmer; Fung Long, Quartermaster; King Chee, Quartermaster; Leong Ta, Quartermaster; Tan Kee, Sailor; Wong Soo, Fireman; Wong Tai, Fireman and Trimmer; and Yang Tan, Quartermaster.

Commemorating those who gave their lives for their country, but have no grave but the sea.

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Tuesday, 9 June 2015

International Archives Day

On International Archives Day, it seems appropriate to highlight one of the many international stories our collections can tell.

This is an image of the panelled seventeenth-century dining room at Gwydir Castle near Llanrwst in north Wales:
Gwydir Castle, DI2011_1054, NPRN 26555

The photograph is attributed to Una Norman, and was taken sometime prior to 1912. In 1921, Gwydir Castle was sold and the ornate dining room furnishings were stripped out and purchased through auction by the American newspaper baron William Randolph Hearst. When he died in 1951, he bequeathed the Gwydir dining room furniture to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. The museum took the items into their stores, where they remained out of sight and out of mind for over forty years.

In 1994, Gwydir Castle once again changed hands and its new owners began an ambitious programme of renovation and restoration. As part of this programme, they negotiated with the Metropolitan Museum for the return of the dining room furnishings. It was eventually repatriated to Wales in 1996, and reinstated at its original location. The Prince of Wales formally opened the dining room at a ceremony in 1998, almost eighty years after it was removed, and nearly sixty years after Gwydir was described in the Royal Commission’s Caernarvonshire Inventory!

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:


Related Posts with Thumbnails