Posts Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts      All Comments Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts     Cymraeg

Tuesday, 10 May 2016

Award for Welsh Slate: Archaeology and History of an Industry





We are pleased to announce that Dr David Gwyn, as author of Royal Commission publication Welsh Slate: Archaeology and History of an Industry, has been given the Association for Industrial Archaeology, Peter Neaverson Award for Outstanding Scholarship for the year 2016.

David Gwyn was the first winner of the award in 2009, but the judges unanimously agreed that Welsh Slate could not be passed over. On hearing the news, David said:

‘I am delighted to have been awarded the Peter Neaverson prize for Welsh Slate. This award reflects the high standard of editing and production which is a hall-mark of publications by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales.’

He will be presented with the award at the Association for Industrial Archaeology annual conference this September.

David is also speaking about the Welsh slate industry on behalf of the Royal Commission at the Hay Festival on Thursday 2 June.

Dr David Gwyn (centre) at the launch of the book held in the Great Hall of Penrhyn Castle near Bangor in May 2015.

About Welsh Slate:
This book describes all aspects of the Welsh Slate industry. It is a comprehensive guide not only to the archaeology and the physical remains of the industry but also to its social history and to its continuing significance in the evolving story of Wales. This book has also made an important contribution towards the inclusion of the Slate Industry of North Wales on the UK provisional list for World Heritage Nomination.

The book is available in both English and Welsh versions:

Welsh Slate: Archaeology and History of an Industry (ISBN: 978-1871184-51-8)

Llechi Cymru: Archaeoleg a Hanes (ISBN: 978-1871184-52-5).

These are large format books of 291 pages with 243 high-quality illustrations and cost £45.

For further details, please contact the Royal Commission on 01970 621248, nicola.roberts@rcahmw.gov.uk


Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!


Share on:
Twitter   •   Facebook   • Google+   • Linkedin




Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Monday, 9 May 2016

Royal Commission gains Heritage Lottery Fund approval for the development of ‘The Forgotten U-boat War around the Welsh Coast’ Project





The Royal Commission, in partnership with Bangor University and the Nautical Archaeology Society, have been given a grant to pursue the development of a new Great War commemoration project.

Some 170 shipping and aircraft losses relating to war at sea are recorded in the National Monuments Record of Wales. Each site has the potential to act as a focus for commemoration, but 14 have initially been selected for underwater exploration to enable the Great War story to be told from both the Allied and German perspectives. The sites include British and German submarines; HMS PENSHURST - the Royal Navy's most successful Q-ship or decoy vessel; HMS DERBENT a tanker which played an important part in refuelling naval vessels in the Mediterranean during the Gallipoli campaign; large merchant ships carrying Welsh coal to key theatres of the war as well as coasting vessels from the last days of sail.

The new underwater survey data will be combined into 3D interactive models to be displayed on a dedicated website.

After 100 years underwater, the wrecks have become fabulously rich colonies of marine life. It is hoped that the project will provide opportunities for volunteers to assist with species identification.

The project has been developed in collaboration with Welsh museums and the Archives Network Wales, whose kind letters of support have provided a great deal of inspiration for the initial work programme. It is hoped that many of the project’s outreach activities will be linked into maritime museums, with each participating group having the opportunity to contribute a display panel to a mobile exhibition. The exhibition will be launched at a conference in 2018.

Remembering those who gave their lives for their country, and who have no grave but the sea.
http://www.peoplescollection.wales/collections/415321

A multi-beam echosounder survey of the APAPA undertaken by SEACAMS, Bangor University, which shows the two large areas of seabed scour (darker blue) caused by the currents which flow around the wreck.

In March 1915, the DERBENT was in the Mediterranean at Port Mudros and Tendos refuelling naval vessels such as HMS PHAETON and HMS INFLEXIBLE, which were attempting to seize control of the Dardanelles Straits during the Gallipoli Campaign.




By Deanna Groom

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!


Share on:
Twitter   •   Facebook   • Google+   • Linkedin




Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Sunday, 1 May 2016

National Monuments Record of Wales Archives and Library Bulletin - April 2016





Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material.
http://www.rcahmw.gov.uk/HI/ENG/Our+Services/Donate+Records/Recent+Acquisitions/. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed.

In preparation for our move to new premises at the National Library of Wales we will be suspending our library, search-room and enquiry service from 4 April 2016. We anticipate the suspension to last for three months.

During the closure we will be unable to accommodate visitors or reply to enquiries. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

We look forward to welcoming you to our new library and reading room in the summer.

Please pass this message on to anyone you think might benefit from this information.

For the latest news and updates see our blog The Heritage of Wales News, our Facebook Page or follow us on Twitter@RCAHMWales and @RC_Archive, @RC_Surveyand@RC_Online.

April 2016


Archives

A.J. Parkinson Collection: Cat. Ref. AJPC/02/15-28
Lecture notes relating to Castlemartin Village, Pembrokeshire; and several thematic strands
Covering dates: 1979-1995

Cadw Registered Files Collection: Cat. Ref. CRF/1
Administrative documents and files relating to Cadw Registered Files Collection, comprising docket books; details of 'Rents Payable'; and Index to subject files and dockets recording closed, cancelled and dead files.

Investigators' Digital Photography: Cat. Ref. DS2016_036-038
Digital images relating to:
  • Marconi Bungalows, Tywyn 
  • Marconi Long Wave Receiving Station, Tywyn 
  • Wynnstay Arms Hotel, Machynlleth 
  • Brickfield Terrace, Brickfield Street, Machynlleth 
  • Former tollhouse (Lledfair Tollhouse), Heol Pentrerhedyn, Machynlleth 
  • Y Plas West Lodge, Machynlleth 
Covering dates: 2014-2015

Rex Wailes Collection: Cat. Ref. RWC
Collection of notes and images relating mainly to wind and water mills in Wales, produced or collated by Rex Wailes.
Covering dates: 1798-1982

Unpublished Dissertations: Cat. Ref. UD09/06
Unpublished B.A. dissertation for the Department of Archaeology, Southampton University, entitled ‘The Chambered Tombs of the Preseli Mountains, Dyfed: a reassessment of their settings in the prehistoric landscape’; produced by Toby Driver, 1993.

Welsh Mills Society Papers Collection: Cat. Ref. WMSPC
Miscellaneous papers, minutes and correspondence produced or collated by the Welsh Mills Society, formerly the Welsh Mills Group.
Covering dates: 1990-2014

Books

Alexander, John. Undated. Part II. The Roman Settlement and Town. Draft of report published as, 'Roman Cambridge excavations 1954-1980', in PCAS (Proceedings of the Cambridgeshire Archaeological Society) 87 (1999).

Banham, Debby and Faith, Rosamond. 2014. Medieval history and archaeology. Oxford University Press.

Barnes, Gerry and Williamson, Tom. 2015. Rethinking ancient woodland: the archaeology and history of woods in Norfolk. Studies in regional and local history; volume 13. Hatfield, University of Hertfordshire Press.

Bayer, Patricia. 1992. Art Deco architecture: design, decoration and detail from the twenties and thirties. London, Thames & Hudson.

Bentley, Richard and Hartley, Claire. 2012. St. Helen's, 'an atmosphere of its own': a collection of cricketing extracts celebrating Glamorgan's St. Helen's ground, Swansea, and marking the fortieth anniversary of the St. Helen's Balconiers. Swansea, St. Helen's Balconiers.

Cadw. 2016. Llangollen: understanding urban character. Cardiff, Cadw.

Cadw. 2016. Llangollen: deall nodweddion trefol. Cardiff, Cadw.

Charles Close Society and Oliver, Richard. 2016. Ordnance Survey seventh edition one-inch map of Great Britain: Hereford: sheet 142 (1949). London, Charles Close Society.

Childs, Jeff et al. 2013. Around Pontardawe: the third selection. Stroud, The History Press.

Cornish, Graham P. 2015. Copyright: interpreting the law for libraries, archives and information services, 6th edition. London, Facet Publishing.

Evans, R Paul and Hughes, Colin P. F. 2014. Changes in crime and punishment in Wales and England: c. 1530 to the present day. Aberystwyth, Prifysgol Aberystwyth.

Yr Eglwys Fethodistaidd (The Methodist Church). 2000. Llawlyfr a chyfeiriadur (Handbook and Directory ) Talaith Cymru 30 (the Cymru District) 2000-2001. Yr Eglwys Fethodistaidd (The Methodist Church).

Farley, Julia ; and Hunter, Fraser (eds). 2015. Celts: art and identity. London, British Museum Press.

Hall, David. 2014. The open fields of England. Oxford, University Press.

Hammond, Peter. 1960. Liturgy and Architecture. Uncorrected proof. London, Barrie and Rockliff.

Hurley, Richard. 2001. Irish church architecture in the era of Vatican II. Dublin, Dominican Publications.

Jones, Alan Vernon. 2010. Chapels of the Cynon Valley / Capeli Cwm Cynon. Aberdare. Cynon Valley History Society.

Jones, Gwilyn Peredur. 1933. The extent of Chirkland (1391-1393). London, University Press of Liverpool.

Lee, D., Beasant, M. and Williams, M. (eds). 1995. Llandaff diocesan directory: 1995. Llandaff Diocesan Board of Finance.

Lillie, Malcolm. 2015. Hunters, fishers and foragers in Wales: towards a social narrative of Mesolithic lifeways. Oxford, Oxbow.

Little, Bryan. 1966. Catholic churches since 1623: a study of Roman Catholic churches in England and Wales from penal times to the present decade. London, Robert Hale.

Lord, Peter. 2016. The tradition: a new history of Welsh art, 1400-1990. Cardigan, Parthian.

Maginnis, Charles D. 2015. Catholic Church Architecture. ReInk Books.

Nash, George (ed.). 2015. An anatomy of a priory church: the archaeology, history and conservation of St Mary's Priory Church, Abergavenny. Oxford, Archaeopress.

National Museums & Galleries of Wales. 2005. The National Waterfront Museum: the story of Wales's industry and innovation. Cardiff, National Museum of Wales

Newman, P. (ed.). 2016. The archaeology of mining and quarrying in England: a research framework for the archaeology of the extractive industries in England. Resource assessment and research agenda. Matlock, Bath, NAMHO.

Oosthuizen, Susan. 2013. Tradition and transformation in Anglo-Saxon England: archaeology, common rights and landscape. London, Bloomsbury Academic.

Passmore, Sue. 2010. Llanllwchaearn: a parish history. Guilford, Grosvenor House.

Pretty, David A. 2005. Anglesey: the concise history. Cardiff, University of Wales Press.

Rees, Richard, R. 2015. Everybody can have their own bathwater: the astonishing story of London’s bid to capture a Welsh river. Mister Chance Ventures.

Rodd, Francis James Rennell. 1958. Valley on the March: a history of a group of manors on the Herefordshire March of Wales. Oxford University Press.

Scholfield, Sharon. 2012. Dolgellau 'Jewel on the Wnion’: cycling in and around Dolgellau. Sharon Scholfield.

Shoesmith, Ron (ed.). 2014. Goodrich Castle: its history & buildings. Woonton Almely, Logaston.

Sibbesson, E., Jervis, B. and Coxon, S. (eds). 2016. Insight from innovation: new light on archaeological ceramics. Papers presented in honour of Professor David Peacock's contributions to archaeological ceramic studies. St Andrews, Highfield Press.

Stobart, Jon and Hann, Andrew (eds). 2016. The country house: material culture and consumption. Swindon, English Heritage.

Undeb Bedyddwyr Cymru. 1994. Undeb Bedyddwyr Cymru. Bethania, Aberteifi 11-15 Medi 1994. Thema : cyfoeth y cyfnodau. Undeb Bedyddwyr Cymru.

Undeb Bedyddwyr Cymru. 2006. Undeb Bedyddwyr Cymru, Aberteifi a'r Clych : gorffennaf 16-19, 2006. Thema : dyrchafu Iesu. Undeb Bedyddwyr Cymru

Williamson, Tom. 2013. Environment, society and landscape in early medieval England: time and topography. Woodbridge, The Boydell Press.

Williamson, T., Liddiard, R. and Partida, T. 2013. Champion: the making and unmaking of the English midland landscape. Liverpool University Press

Wood, Andy. 2015. Abandoned & vanished canals of Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Stroud, Amberley.

Yorke, Trevor. 2015. Victorian railway stations. Newbury, Countryside Books.

Journals

Antiquity vol. 90 no. 349 (February 2016)

British Archaeology no. 148 (May-June 2016)

Capel no. 67 (Spring 2016)

Carmarthenshire Antiquary vol. 51 (2015)

Melin vol. 30 (2014)

Morgannwg vol. 59 (2015)

Pembrokeshire Life, April 2016

Railway and Canal Historical Society Bulletin no. 461 (May-June 2016)

Sheetlines no. 105 (April 2016)

Welsh Mines Society Newsletter no. 74 (Spring 2016)


Ffarwel Plas Crug / Farewell Plas Crug

Contact us

In preparation for our move to new premises at the National Library of Wales we will be temporarily suspending our library, search-room and enquiry service from 4 April 2016. For further details, please click here.


If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:
NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Crown Building, Plas Crug
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion SY23 1NJ

Telephone: +44 (0)1970 621200
Fax: +44 (0)1970 627701
Email: nmr.wales@rcahmw.gov.uk
Website: www.rcahmw.gov.uk
Blog: www.heritageofwalesnews.blogspot.co.uk


Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!


Share on:
Twitter   •   Facebook   • Google+   • Linkedin




Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Thursday, 28 April 2016

Powys War Memorials Project: Free Photography Competition 2016





There are 2590 recorded war memorials in Wales ranging from free-standing monuments and sculptural masterpieces to simple plaques in chapels, churches, schools, post offices and banks. Collectively, they are by far the largest body of public memorials in Wales with examples in almost all communities. Although there are examples from earlier conflicts, especially the South African War (1899─1902), most memorials were erected in the 1920s and were usually paid for by local subscription. A good selection of these have been photographed by the Royal Commission for Coflein, our online database and Cadw’s handbook “Caring for War Memorials in Wales” 2014.

Powys County Council has secured funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF), Cadw (Welsh Government) and the Brecon Beacons National Park Authority for the Powys War Memorials Project 2014-2018: A Mark of Respect. This project commemorates the centenary of World I and is now holding a World War I memorial photography competition as part of the project. Nathan Davies, the Powys War Memorials Project Officer explains, “We know of about 300 war memorials in Powys ranging from stone crosses to stained glass windows, plaques to statues. However, there are likely to be considerably more than this. One aim of the project is to find, record and catalogue all the World War I memorials in the county. All you need to do is find a war memorial, take a photograph of it, complete the entry form and email it to us. That’s it ! You’ll be commemorating the centenary of World War 1 and will have the chance to win a share of the £200 prize fund.”

This competition is free to enter, has two entry categories: one for young people, one for adults. The closing date for the competition is Friday 10th June 2016. For further information please visit the project website page www.growinpowys.co.uk/2091/competitions or contact Nathan Davies for more information:

E-mail: warmemorials@powys.gov.uk
Phone: 01597 827 597
Website: www.growinpowys.co.uk
Powys County Council, The Gwalia, Ithon Road, Llandrindod Wells, Powys. LD1 6AA

Judges of the competition include Iain Wright, former Royal Commission photographer, as well as representatives from the Church in Wales and the Royal British Legion.

Builth Wells war memorial NPRN: 419416, DS2013_438_003
Located on a prominent site at the entrance to the Groe, the memorial at Builth incorporates figures representing the army, navy, air force and merchant navy.

Montgomeryshire war memorial NPRN: 32916, DS2013_514_002
The County War Memorial sited on the summit of Town Hill, Montgomery, is a prominent feature of the landscape and can be seen from miles around.

Rhayader war memorial clock tower NPRN: 32982, DS2013_440_003
Patriotic iconography at Rhayader War Memorial Clock Tower depicts the Welsh dragon defeating the German imperial eagle.

Twyn-y-garth gun NPRN: 437, DS2013_515_001
One of Wales’ most evocative war memorials at Twyn-y-Garth. The memorial is a  First World War German 105 mm leichte Feldhaubitzer placed on a hill and secured in concrete, The gun was fully restored in 2001 as a millennium commemoration.

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!


Share on:
Twitter   •   Facebook   • Google+   • Linkedin




Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Wednesday, 27 April 2016

The Archaeology of the Skerries (Ynysoedd y Moelrhoniaid), north Wales





On 19 April, Royal Commission Investigator Dr Toby Driver accompanied an RSPB monitoring visit out to the Skerries, a small group of rocky islets off north-west Anglesey. Archaeological aerial reconnaissance had identified unrecorded earthworks surviving on the southern side of the islet. The trip was also a long overdue chance to examine the wider archaeology and built heritage of this remote islet which has seen few archaeological visitors since Douglas Hague’s trips in the early 1980s, culminating in his 1994 Royal Commission book ‘Lighthouses of Wales’.

The Skerries is dominated by its fine lighthouse, built on an outcrop at the highest point. A light was first established here after 1716, built by William Trench as a personal venture. After several different phases of work the lighthouse achieved its present appearance under Trinity House and consultant engineer James Walker, who rebuilt it in 1851. The light towers 36m above high water, and the residential block presently accommodates RSPB staff during the nesting season among a noisy colony of Artic Terns. Luckily the lighthouse was open for maintenance by Trinity House staff during the visit, allowing new photography of its interior and lantern room.

The group of buildings around the lighthouse includes the oldest separate keepers’ dwelling in the British Isles, an early eighteenth-century crow-stepped gabled cottage, and a tiny stone well-head building, both now listed. Both buildings were recorded with 360 degree photography, allowing for future 3D modelling using digital photogrammetry.

During the brief two-hour visit there was time to reconnoitre the wider islet. From the lighthouse, this is reached via a tiny cobbled footbridge across a deep chasm. Further on are the ruins of the ‘Buoy-keepers’ cottage’, a small stone shelter recorded by Hague in 1971. This sits at one end of a larger earthwork building platform identified from aerial photographs. This larger platform may be far earlier than the stone ruin, and could perhaps date to the Middle Ages when the Skerries belonged to the monks of Bangor as one of their principal fisheries. Alongside the platform stands a small stone mooring post above the beach. The vegetation across the main part of the islet is a perforated grass sward covered in rabbit holes, re-used by nesting Puffins in the spring and summer months. Other features noted during the visit included stone navigational beacons, and channels cut between freshwater pools presumably to conserve scarce drinking water in times past.

The Skerries Lighthouse seen from the boat as one approaches the landing stage. The roof of the gabled keepers’ cottage can be seen below.

The tiny gabled lighthouse keepers’ cottage, the oldest separate dwelling of its type in the British Isles.

The attractive footbridge over the chasm which separates the lighthouse from the main part of the islet.

Remains of the ‘Buoy-keepers’ cottage’, a small ruin recorded by Douglas Hague in 1971. It lies at one end of an earlier earthwork platform. Scale 1m.

Looking back towards the lighthouse from the pair of navigational markers built on Toucan rock, named on early Ordnance Survey County Series mapping. Scale 1m.


By Toby Driver: Aerial Investigator


Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!


Share on:
Twitter   •   Facebook   • Google+   • Linkedin




Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails