Posts Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts      All Comments Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts     Cymraeg

Tuesday, 31 March 2015

National Monuments Record of Wales Archives and Library Bulletin - March 2015

Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed.

Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00, Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.

March 2015


Gerallt Nash Welsh Mills Collection
  • Collection of material relating to mills in Wales, including correspondence, newspaper cuttings, reports, drawings and photos, collated or produced by Gerallt D. Nash in the course of his research and his involvement with the Welsh Mills Society: C602666 

Cwmystwyth Mines Complex Collection
  • Collection of records comprising original and copied drawings and maps compiled during research and survey relating to the Cwmystwyth Mines complex: C603398 

D.B. Hague Collection
  • Set of mainly site-specific records relating to buildings/structures outside Wales, collated or produced by Douglas Hague: C602560 
  • Set of black and white photographs labelled Deerness Orkney, 1962, taken by Douglas Hague: C602561 

Peter Smith Collection
  • Unsorted notes, drawings photos and correspondence relating to the publication of a series of essays on Ty Mawr, published in The Montgomeryshire Collections, journal of the Powysland Club, volume 89, 2001: C602562 
  • Bound volume entitled "The Development of Miltary and Civil Architecture and Town Planning in North-west Wales". Finals thesis presented to R.I.B.A. by Peter Smith. Undated: C602563 
  • Miscellaneous notes and correspondence produced or collated by Peter Smith: C602631 

Peter Smith Slide Collection
  • Colour slides of buildings in Carmarthenshire. Held in alphabetical order of site name with unidentified sites at the back: C602557 
  • Colour slides of buildings in Breconshire: C602788 
  • Colour slides showing churches in Wales: C602799 
  • Colour slides of Welsh landscapes: C602800 

RCAHMW Field Notes
  • Investigators' field survey logs produced by Deanna Groom prior to and during field trips to a number of maritime sites in 2013: C602575 

Cotswold Archaeology Projects Archive
  • Project archive relating to an Archaeological Watching brief for Former Gas Works, Mount Street, Bala. Produced in 2015 by Cotswold Archaeology: Project No: 3640, Report No: 12043. The collection comprises digital and hard copy reports: C602969 

William Grimes Collection
  • Various artefacts from a number of projects and excavations, including Burry Holms: C603339 

RCAHMW Digital Survey, Borth Submerged Forest : C561232

Digital image relating to Level 1 Survey, Borth Submerged Forest: Area C, DSC_BSF06

  • ArcGIS 10 shapefiles relating to a survey of Borth Submerged Forest, produced by RCAHMW 2010-2012 
  • Google Earth Screen Grabs of routes walked, relating to a survey of Borth Submerged Forest, carried out by RCAHMW 2010-2012 
  • Access database relating to a survey of Borth Submerged Forest, carried out by RCAHMW 2010-2012 

Jeremy Lowe Collection
  • Photocopy of fifteen field notebooks on workers housing produced by Jeremy Lowe, dated between 1970 and 1993. Access to these notebooks may be controlled until his work is published: C603399 
  • Notes, drafts and correspondence relating to a proposed joint project on workers housing produced and\or collated by RCAHMW and Mr Lowe: C603400 

Investigators' Digital Photography

Digital photographic surveys of the following sites taken c2009-2015

View of west façade, Dan-y-bwlch, DS2015_021_012, taken March 2015

  • Dan-y-bwlch, Crucorney: C602370 
  • Sully Island Promontory Fort, taken by Deanna Groom, June 2010: C602372, C602377 
  • Llandudno Pier taken by Deanna Groom, August 2010: C602426 
  • East Tower, Nash Lighthouse, taken by Nicola Roberts Sept 2009: C602378 
  • Foghorn Signal Building at Nash Lighthouse, taken by Nicola Roberts Sept 2009: C602387 
  • West Tower at Nash Lighthouse, taken by Nicola Roberts Sept 2009: C602391 
  • Ynyshir Hall, taken by Deanna Groom, March 2010: C602397 
  • Great Orme Copper Mine taken by Deanna Groom, August 2009: C602401 
  • Rhyl Flats Windfarm taken by Deanna Groom, August 2009: C602438 
  • Greenala Point Fort taken by Deanna Groom, Oct 2009: C602446 
  • Cilcain Church: C602654 
  • Interior photos of Bethania Baptist Chapel, Maesteg: C603162 

Sites in Cardiff
  • Gorsedd Gardens, Cardiff: C602667 
  • Friary Gardens: C602669 
  • City Hall: C602671 
  • Law Courts: C602673 
  • Cardiff University Registry: C602675 
  • UCW Cardiff: C602683 
  • Great Court and Drapers Library: C602687 
  • County Hall: C602699 
  • National Museum: C602703 
  • Bute Building, UCW Cardiff: C602705 
  • Glamorgan County Hall Extension: C602729 
  • Queen Anne’s Square screen: C602741 
  • Former Welsh Office: C602772 
  • Temple of Peace and Health: C602775 
  • UCW Cardiff Law Building: C602786 
  • Sir Martin Evans Building: C602789 
  • Life & Science Building: C602791 
  • UCW Cardiff Tower Building: C602793 
  • Police Station, Cathays: C602795 
  • Welsh government offices: C602797 
  • UCW Redwood Building: C602782 
  • Aberdare Hall, UCW Cardiff: C603551 

Statues and memorials in Cardiff
  • Statue of David Lloyd George, Gorsedd Gardens: C602784 
  • Statue of Col Lord Ninian Crichton Stuart, Gorsedd Gardens: C602709 
  • Statue of Marquis of Bute, Friary Gardens: C602719 
  • Mining and Navigation sculpture, County Hall: C602701 
  • Statue of John Cory, Gorsedd Gardens: C602680 
  • Boer War Memorial: C602689 
  • Statue of Viscount Tredegar: C602693 
  • Statue of Judge Gwilym Williams: C602695 
  • Statue of Henry Austin, Alexandra Gardens: C602697 
  • Cardiff City Falklands Conflict Memorial: C602801 
  • Welsh National Falklands Conflict Memorial: C602804 

Castell Tan y Castell Collection
  • Black and white slides taken or produced during excavation in 1956-57: C602632 

NMR Site Files

Photo surveys of sites taken 1970s to 1990s:
  • St Bridgets Church, St Brides Wentlooge: C602534 
  • Malthouse and associated residence at Bryn Street, Newtown: C603588 
  • Tro'r Derlwyn deserted rural settlement, taken by D.J. Percival, 1986: C603592 
  • Old Turnpike Road between Llangadog and Brynaman, taken by D.J. Percival, 1987: C603594 
  • Carn Fadog, taken by D.J. Percival, 1987: C603599 
  • Nant y Llyn Maenhir, taken by D.J. Percival, 1987: C603601 
  • Abdon Clee houses, taken by D.J. Percival, 1990: C603605 
  • Lower Clydach aqueduct on the Swansea Canal: C602707, C602735 
  • Clydach Pumphouse on the Swansea Canal: C602747 
  • Clydach Bridge, Lock No. 6, on the Swansea Canal: C602752, C602757 
  • Fountain Hall on the Swansea Canal: C602771 
  • Godre'r Graig Dry Dock on the Swansea Canal: C602768 
  • Giedd Feeder Weir on the Swansea Canal: C602806 
  • The Castle Hotel, Cae'r Llan on the Swansea Canal: C602813 
  • Limekiln at Cae'r Lan Canal Wharf on the Swansea Canal: C602816 
  • Canal boat at Abercraf on the Swansea Canal: C602824 
  • Lengthman's Punt at Trebanos on the Swansea Canal: C602836 
  • Ynyscedwyn Ironworks Colliery Branch on the Swansea Canal: C602847 
  • Godre'r Graig Dry Dock on the Swansea Canal: C602866 
  • Hafod Limekiln, Landore.: C602870 
  • Hafod Copperworks Tramway Viaduct: C602891 

Photo surveys of the following sites taken in the 1930s to 1960s:
  • High Street, Conwy: C602967 
  • St Gwyddelan's Church: C603012 
  • Gwyndy: C603014 
  • Cwm Fynhadog Isaf: C603019 
  • Moel Goch Bridge: C603026 
  • Bwlch Ehediad: C603028 
  • Pont Sarn yr Offeriad: C603032 
  • Pont Sarn Ddu: C603034 
  • Bwlch Cynnud: C603036 
  • Bwlch Bach: C603039 
  • Round Huts near Clogwyn Mawr: C603041 
  • Capel Horeb: C603047 
  • Pendyffryn stables: C603052 
  • Braich y Dinas: C603053 
  • Plas Coch: C603067 
  • Cwm Fynhadog Uchaf: C603074 
  • Tai, Dolwyddelan: C603081 
  • St Mary's Church, Rhossili: C603136 
  • 11 Castle Street: C603129 
  • The Old Cockpit, Conwy: C603131 

The Old Cockpit, Conwy, 1939: C603131, DS2015_021_012

  • 28 Castle Street, Conwy: C603134 
  • Bishopston Church: C603138 
  • Llanddewi Church: C603144 
  • Ogmore Castle: C603146 
  • St Donat's Castle: C603149 
  • Chantry House: C603151 
  • St John's Hospice: C603154 
  • Church House, Llantwit Major: C603159 
  • Candleston Castle: C603349 
  • Maen Ceti: C603354 
  • Samson’s Jacks standing stone: C603360 
  • Conwy Suspension Bridge: C603376 

1929 photo surveys of the following sites taken by B. C. Clayton:
  • Manorbier Castle: C603389 
  • Carew Church: C603386 
  • St Davids Cathedral: C603392 
  • Conwy Castle: C603401 
  • Skenfrith Castle: C603406 
  • Skenfrith: C603408 
  • Raglan Castle: C603410 
  • St Mary's College, St Davids: C603416 
  • Caernarfon Castle: C603544 
  • White Castle: C603555 
  • Margam Abbey Church: C603559 
  • Neath Abbey Church: C603571 
  • Llangan Churchyard Cross: C603573 
  • Llanwnog Church: C603575 
  • Ogam Stone, Nevern: C603580 
  • Pembroke Castle: C603582 
  • Nevern Cross: C603584 
  • Old Radnor Church: C603586 
  • Pontypool Park Gates: C603612 
  • Bettws Newydd Church: C603615 
  • Mitchel Troy Church: C603618 

Investigators' Photographs
  • Bethel Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, High Street, Pen-y-Groes: Photo survey comprising 1 B&W print taken by S. R. Hughes, January 2000: C602664 
  • Merthyr Mawr Sawmill: Photo survey comprising 22 B&W prints taken by B.A. Malaws, August 1999: C603229 

A.J. Parkinson Slide Collection
  • Sheet of slides showing architectural details of No7 Town Hill, Wrexham: C602812 
  • Sheet of slides showing various buildings, most of which are identified: C602817 

Additional Information
  • Two mounted black and white photographs showing Cors y Gedol Chamber, donated by Cadw: C603340 

General Digital Donations Collection
  • Batch of digital colour aerial photographs showing various sites in Wales taken by Paul R Davis using a quadcopter: C603049 
  • Report entitled: 'Discovery of a new Four Poster in North east Wales. Site no.70 from 'Digs, Discoveries and Megaliths' produced by the discoverer, John Denton Blore in 2014. Comprises electronic report and two photographs: C603353 

History of the Royal Commission
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Branch: desk instructions for the archival recording of antiquities and their publication on maps: C602661

Christopher J. Williams Mines Photographs
  • 96 catalogue entries of digital copies of 35mm slides of various lead mines and related artefacts in Wales, taken by Christopher J. Williams, during mine exploration and research 1970-2000. 


Abel Heywood and Son, 1906, A guide to Penmaenmawr, Llanfairfechan, Conway and Aber, Abel Heywood and Son, Manchester.

BBC,1959, The Story of Wales, BBC Broadcasts to Schools 1959 – 60, BBC, London.

Barry official street plan, Forward Publicity Ltd., Surrey.

Bettws-y-Coed: The beauty spot of Wales, Criterion Press, London.

Blair,C. H. Hunter and Honeyman,H. L., 1954, Warkworth Castle, Northumberland, HMSO, London.

Brailsford, J. W., 1971, Guide to the antiquities of Roman Britain, The Trustees of the British Museum, London.

Brecon a district map including small street plan of the town, Eric Thomas and Harpur, Brecon.

Brecon Cathedral, 1985, The Cathedral Church of St. John the Evangelist, Brecon, Brecon Cathedral, Brecon.

Brewer, Richard J., 2000, Caerleon and the Roman army: Roman legionary museum: a guide, National Museums & Galleries of Wales, Cardiff.

Bright, M. J. and Ward, K. E.,1958, Wardour Castles / photographs by Kenneth E. Ward, Oriole Publishing, Poole.

Brin, A.,McManamon, F. P., Niven, K. (Editors), 2013, Caring for digital data in archaeology: a guide to good practice, Oakville : Oxbow Books, Oxford.

Bryan Davies and Associates, 1974, Map of Abergele, United Advertising Company, London.

Burrell, Robert and Coleman, Allison, 2005, Copyright exceptions: the digital impact, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.

Buxbaum, Tim, 2014, Icehouses, Shire Publications, Oxford.

Clarke, Stephen, 2013, The lost lake: evidence of prehistoric boat building, Clarke Publishing, Monmouth.

Clammer, Richard, 2014, Passenger steamers of the river Conwy: serving the famous Trefriw Spa, The History Press, Stroud.

Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, 1984, Roman Prestatyn: a child's guide to the Roman baths, Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, Welshpool.

Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, 1984, Roman Prestatyn: rescue excavations on the Roman site at Melyd Avenue Summer 1984, Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, Welshpool.

Cole, Sonia Mary, 1970, The Neolithic revolution, British Museum (Natural History), London.

Coward, Roger, 2014, Abbey Cwmhir: history, homes and people, Abbeycwmhir Community Council, Abbeycwmhir.

Cunliffe, Barry W., 1969, Roman bath, Society of Antiquaries, London.

Dale, Peter, 2014, Glamorgan's lost railways, Stenlake Publishing Ltd., Catrine.

Daniel, Glyn e., 1955, Who are the Welsh?

Davies, Samuel, Yr eurgrawn wesleyaidd am y flwyddyn 1864; Volume XXVII, Robert Jones, Bangor.

Davies, Sean, 2014, War and society in medieval Wales 633-1283: Welsh military institutions, University of Wales Press, Cardiff.

Davies, William, Yr eurgrawn wesleyaidd am y flwyddyn 1867; Volume XXXI, William Davies, Bangor.

Derbyshire Archaeological Society, 1977, Middleton Top Engine, G. C. Brittain and Sons Ltd.,Ripley.

Dobraszczyk, Paul, 2014, Iron, ornament and architecture in Victorian Britain: myth and modernity, excess and enchantment, Ashgate Publishing Company, Burlington, VT.

Y Drysorfa: Cylchgrawn misol y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd; 1866 – 67, P. M. Evans, Treffynnon.

Y Drysorfa: Cylchgrawn misol y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd; 1867 – 68, P. M. Evans, Treffynnon.

Y Drysorfa: Cylchgrawn misol y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd; 1869 – 70, P. M. Evans, Treffynnon.

Y Drysorfa: Cylchgrawn misol y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd; 1870 – 71, P. M. Evans, Treffynnon.

Y Drysorfa: Cylchgrawn misol y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd; 1874 – 75, P. M. Evans, Treffynnon.

Y Drysorfa: Cylchgrawn misol y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd; 1880 – 81, P. M. Evans, Treffynnon.

Duckett, R., Walker, P., Donnelly, C., 2008, Know it all, find it fast : an A-Z source guide for the enquiry desk, Facet, London.

Dyfed Archaeological Trust, 2014, The Black Mountain lime industry, Dyfed Archaeological Trust, Llandeilo.

Elliott-Binns, Leonard Elliott, 1948, The beginnings of western Christendom, Lutterworth Press, London.

Edwards, Huw, 2014, City Mission: The story of London's Welsh chapels, Y Lolfa, Talybont.

Fenton, A., 1979, A farming township: Auchindrain, Argyll, Countryside Commission for Scotland, Perth.

Fernie, Kate and Gilman, Paul, 2000, Informing the future of the past: guidelines for SMRs, English Heritage, Swindon.

Finney, Jon Bryant, 2006, Middle Iron Age warfare of the hillfort dominated zone c.400 BC to c.150 BC, Archaeopress, Oxford.

Floud, Peter, 1954, Castell Coch, Glamorgan, H.M.S.O., London.

Gosling, Sarah, 1978, A changing landscape: Banbury and the Cherwell Valley, Oxfordshire County Council, Oxford.

Griffiths, Ralph Alan, 2001, After Glyn Dŵr: an age of reconciliation?, British Academy, London.

Grinsell, Leslie V., 1979, Barrows in England and Wales, Shire Publications, Aylesbury.

Hannavy, John, 2015, The Victorian photographs of Dr Thomas Keith and John Forbes White, John Hannavy Publishing, Wiltshire.

Harlech, 1948, Illustrated regional guides to ancient monuments in the ownership of the Ministry of Works: Volume V: North Wales, H.M.S.O., London.

Harris, Marise, 1993 and 1994, Old town Aberystwyth, Marise Harris, Aberystwyth.

HMSO, 1965, Boscobel House and White Ladies Priory, Shropshire, HMSO, London.

HMSO, 1980, Ancient Monuments and Historic Buildings; Government publications sectional list: 27, The Campfield Press, St. Albans.

HMSO, 1980, Beaumaris Castle / Castell Biwmares, Gwynedd, HMSO, Cardiff.

HMSO, 1981, Ancient Monuments and Historic Buildings; Government publications sectional list: 27, The Campfield Press, St. Albans.

Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust, 1973, Blists Hill Open Air Museum: a guide to the site and exhibits, Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust, Telford.

Johns, Catherine, 1971, Arretine and Samian pottery, The Trustees of the British Museum, London.

Kay, Stephen, 2014, Homes for Welsh workers from Robert Owen to "the garden city movement". With a gazetteer of planned communities in Wales 1800 to 1939, 325 Press, Abergavenny.

Kenyon, John R., 2014, A fresh approach: essays presented to Colin Platt in celebration of his eightieth birthday 11 November 2014, Trouser Press, Surrey.

Kirk, G. S., 1974, The nature of Greek myths, Pelican, Harmondsworth.

Kroeber, A.L., 1963, Anthropology: culture, patterns and processes, Harcourt Brace and World, New York.

Llandeilo Church, 2006, The Llandeilo Gospels, National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.

Llandudno and district a street map, Property Publications Ltd., Surrey

Llandudno including public buildings and places of interest, The Automobile Association, Basingstoke.

Llanelli Community Heritage Committee, (n.d.), Llanelli Community Heritage Trail: Felinfoel Heritage Guide, Llanelli Community Heritage Committee, Llanelli.

Llawlyfr Undeb Gogledd Ceredigion, 1955; Braslun hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Gogledd Ceredigion, Undeb yr Annibynwyr Cymraeg

London Transport, 1969, London's industrial archaeology, London Transport, London.

Lowry, Bernard, 2014, Pillboxes and tank traps, Shire Library, Oxford.

Machynlleth Urban and Rural District Councils, 1966, Machynlleth and District. The official guide, Home Publishing Co. Ltd., Carshalton.

Manco, Jean, 1988, Bath history: volume II, Bath.

Marks, Kenneth, 2014, The archaeology of Anglo-jewry in England and Wales, 1656-1850, Archaeopress, Oxford.

Monmouthshire and adjoining areas: a district map, Town & Country Publications, Surrey.

Monmouthshire Building Society, 1972, A street map of Barry Glamorgan, Country Publications, Barry.

Mullin, David, 2012, A landscape of borders: the prehistory of the Anglo-Welsh borderland, Archaeopress, Oxford.

Musty, John, 1977, The Ancient Monuments Laboratory, HMSO, London.

NCB Public Relations,1976, Britain's Mining Museum, Lound Hall Retford Nottinghamshire, NCB, London.

National Museum of Wales, Welsh Folk Museum, 1967, Farmhouses and cottages in Wales: a picture book, National Museum of Wales, Cardiff.

National Museum of Wales, 1957, Illustrated guide, National Museum of Wales, Cardiff.

Neaverson, Ernest, 1947, Mediaeval castles in North Wales: a study of sites, water supply and building stones, University Press of Liverpool, Liverpool.

Notiziario 1988-89 soprintendza archeologica della lombardia, Cariplo, Milan.

Oakley, Kenneth P., 1967, Man the tool-maker, London British Museum, London.

Oldham, Peter, 2014, Armageddon's walls: British pill boxes 1914-1918, Pen & Sword, Barnsley.

Owen, Dafydd, 1992, Gwylio gorymdait : dathliad dau gant a hanner Capel Lôn Swan, Dinbych: 1742-1992, Eglwys Lôn Swan, Dinbych.

Palmer, Ken, 2013, The Grosmont map: The landscape and vernacular buildings of an Elizabethan map of 1588, Logaston Press, Little Logaston.

Pearson, Lynn, 2014, Built to brew: the history and heritage of the brewery, English Heritage, Swindon.

Peate, Iorwerth Cyfeiliog, 1962, Hendre'r-ywydd Uchaf, Llangynhafal, Denbighshire: a late 15th-century house, Amgueddfa Werin Cymru, Cardiff.

Pembrokeshire County Council, 1960, Official guide to Pembrokeshire and the National Park, H. G. Walters, Narberth.

Pembrokeshire County Council, 1962, Official guide to Pembrokeshire and the National Park, H. G. Walters, Narberth.

Penmaenmawr Publicity Association, Penmaenmawr Official Guide, Penmaenmawr Publicity Association, Llandudno.

Prix Varsi International, 1991, 303 Arts, recerches et creations, Prix Varsi International, Loire.

Rabbitts, Paul, 2014, Bandstands of Britain, The History Press, Stroud.

Rackham, Oliver, 1999, The history of the countryside: the classic history of Britain's landscape, flora and fauna, Phoenix Giant, London.

Radford, Courtenay Arthur Ralegh, 1976, Ewenny priory, Glamorgan, H.M.S.O., London.

Rendall, P. D., 2014, The South Wales direct line: history and working, The Crowood Press, Ramsbury.

Renfrew, Colin, 1982, Towards an archaeology of mind: an inaugural lecture delivered before the University of Cambridge on 30 November 1982, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.

Rhodes, Peter Stephenson, 1962, A guide to Ballycopeland Windmill, HMSO, Belfast.

Richardson, J. S. and Wood, Marguerite, 1953, The Castle of Edinburgh, H.M.S.O., Edinburgh.

Roberts, T. J., 1937, Ruthin: the official guide, J. Burrow & Co. Ltd., Cheltenham.

Shepherd Wheel, The Council for the conservation of Sheffield antiquities, Sheffield

Simmonds, Robin G., 2012, A history of the Port Talbot Railway & Docks Company and the South Wales Mineral Railway Company. Volume 1: 1853-1907, Lightmoor Press, Lydney.

Simmonds, Robin G., 2013, A history of the Port Talbot Railway & Docks Company and the South Wales Mineral Railway Company. Volume 2: 1894-1971, Lightmoor Press, Lydney.

Smith, Peter, 1990, The R.C.A.H.M Wales in my Time 1949 – 89, Transactions of the Ancient Monuments Society, London.

Spurgeon, C. J., 1973, The Castle and Borough of Aberystwyth, Aberystwyth Borough, Aberystwyth.

Spurgeon, C. J.,1975, The Castle and Borough of Aberystwyth, Aberystwyth Borough, Aberystwyth.

Steele, Philip, 2012, Llyn Cerrig Bach: treasure from the iron age, Oriel Ynys Môn, Ynys Môn.

Steer, Francis W., 1971, The Fitzalan Chapel, Arundel: a guide and a short history, Moore and Tyler, Chichester.

Stell, G. P. and Hay, G. D.,1984, Bonawe Iron Furnace, HMSO, Edinburgh.

Stratton, Michael, 1988, Industrial monuments in England: the iron and lead industries, The Ironbridge Institute, Shropshire.

Street and district maps of Abergavenny, Town & Country Publications, Sussex.

Street and district maps of Llandrindod Wells, Builth Wells, Rhayader, Town & Country Publications, Sussex.

Street maps of Bangor, Holyhead Menai Bridge & Amlwch, Town and Country Publications, Sussex.

Street map of Bridgend and district, Town & Country Publications, Sussex.

Street map of Colwyn Bay, Denbs., Town & Country Publications, Sussex

Street map of Llandudno, Norman Martell Ltd., Ramsgate.

Street map of Llandudno and district, Town & Country Publications, Sussex.

Y Swyddfa Gymreig Welsh Office, Kidwelly Castle, Dyfed, Headley Brothers Ltd, London.

Taylor, A. J., 1976, Basingwerk Abbey / Abaty dinas Basing Clwyd, Department of the Environment, Edinburgh.

Taylor, Christopher, Looking at cows - field archaeology in the 1980's: The second Beatrice de Cardi lecture 1977, Council for British Archaeology, London.

The new album of Rhyl views, (nd.

Thomas, Catherine E. (Ed), 1979, Celf a Chrefft: Exhibition, Art and Crafts Pavilion. National Eisteddfod Caernarfon and District, Cambrian News, Aberystwyth.

Thomas, Julian, 2013, The birth of Neolithic Britain: an interpretive account, Oxford University Press, Oxford.

Thomas, Richard J., 1968, Bedd Taliesin (Taliesin’s grave), Amgueddfa Tre'rddôl, Tre'rddôl.

Thornes, Robin, 1990, Tyne and Wear vol. I, Tyneside, Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, London.

Titchmarsh, Peter and Helen, 1986, The Pembrokeshire coast by car, Jarrold, Norwich.

Titchmarsh, Peter and Helen, 1988, Wye Valley by car, Jarrold and Sons, Norwich.

Titchmarsh, Peter and Helen, 1993, Brecon Beacons by car, Jarrold, Norwich.

Thompson, W.J. (General Editor), 1989, A guide to the industrial heritage of West Yorkshire, Twelveheads, Redruth.

Tymms, Samuel, 1848, An architectural and historical account of Saint Mary's Church, St Bury St. Edmund’s, Part I, Jackson and Frost, Bury St. Edmund's.

Tymms, Samuel, 1848, An architectural and historical account of Saint Mary's Church, St Bury St. Edmund’s, Part II, Jackson and Frost, Bury St. Edmund's.

Tymms, Samuel, 1848, An architectural and historical account of Saint Mary's Church, St Bury St. Edmund’s, Part III, Jackson and Frost, Bury St. Edmund's.

U. S. Department of the Interior, 2000, Historic American engineering record; Volume 23, No. 4, US. Department of the Interior, Washington, DC.

Wales Tourist Board, 1983, Wales architectural heritage, Wales Tourist Board, Cardiff.

White, Richard, 1988, Gerald's Wales: a twelfth century journey, Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments, Cardiff.

Wild, J., 1969, A short guide to the Cathedral Church of Durham.

Wiliam, Eurwyn, 2003, Rhyd-y-car: a Welsh mining community : the life, death and re-creation of a Welsh mining community, 1800-1980, National Museums & Galleries of Wales, Cardiff.

Wyeth, Lynn, 2011, A practical guide to handling freedom of information requests, Ark Group in association with Inside Knowledge, London.

York Archaeological Trust / Ordnance Survey, 1988, Roman and Anglian York (Map), Ordnance Survey, Southampton.


Anglesey Antiquarian Society & Field Club Transactions (2013)

Antiquity vol. 89 no. 343 (February 2015)

Archaeology Ireland no. 110 (Winter 2014) [donation]

Archive: The Quarterly Journal for British Industrial and Transport History no. 85 (March 2015)

Brycheiniog vol. 46 (2015)

BSI Update Standards (March 2015)

C20: The Magazine of the Twentieth Century Society issue 1/2015

Cardiganshire Family History Society Journal 1996-2013 (some gaps) [donation]

Cartographic Journal vol. 52 no. 1 (February 2015)

Ceredigion vol. 18 no. 2 (2014)

CPRW Newsletter no. 11 (Summer 1971)

Current Archaeology no. 301 (April 2015)

Cymmrodorion Transactions vol. 20 (2014)

Dyfed Archaeological Trust Newsletter (Summer 2014 and Autumn 2014)

Dyfed Family History Journal 1984-2013 (some gaps) [donation]

Focus: Historic Scotland’s Annual Magazine (2015)

Gower Society Newsletter (Spring 2015)

Heritage Bill e-Bulletin no. 9 (February 2015) [electronic version only]

Historical Association Annual Report nos. 60 & 63 (1965/66 & 1968-69)

Journal of Ecclesiastical History vol. 39 no. 1 to vol. 49 no. 4 (1988-1998) [donation]

NAMHO Newsletter (March 2015) [electronic version only]

Pembrokeshire Life (March 2015)

Post-Medieval Archaeology vols. 39 and 42-48 (2005 and 2008-2014) [donation]

Railway and Canal Historical Society Bulletin no. 454 (March-April 2015)

Railway and Canal Historical Society Journal no. 222 (March 2015)

Twentieth Century Society News and Events (January 2015) [electronic version only]

The Victorian no. 48 (March 2015)

Welsh Mills Society Newsletter no. 119 (April 2015)

Welsh Railways Research Circle Newsletter no. 142 (March 2015)

Yr Ardd (National Botanic Garden of Wales Magazine) no. 22 (Autumn 2014)

Also: An index of articles on houses in Country Life from 2 June 1950 to 2 August 1962. Typescript. To be kept with pamphlets in the library, ref. H5.COU(P)

Journals Current Awareness

Ceredigion vol. 18 no. 2, p. 1: ‘The Strange Case of a Mysterious Lead Anomaly: Castell Grogwynion Hillfort, Ceredigion: Iron Age smelting, eighteenth century pottery or post medieval prospection?’ by Simon Timberlake, Keith Haylock, Toby Driver, Louise Barker, Phil Andrews, Brenda Craddock, Anthony Gilmour and Lorraine Mepham

Current Archaeology no. 301, p. 11: ‘New heads for English Heritage’ [on the appointment of new CEOs for the new bodies arising from EH’s impending reorganization]; p. 12: ‘The English Railway Station’ by Chris Catling

Focus: Historic Scotland’s Annual Magazine, p. 5 ‘Historic Scotland and RCAHMS join forces in new heritage organisation’

Contact us
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:

NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Crown Building,
Plas Crug,
SY23 1NJ

Telephone: +44 (0)1970 621200
Fax: +44 (0)1970 627701

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Monday, 30 March 2015

Walking into history – completion of the fieldwork stage of the Welsh Uplands Archaeology Initiative

Peter Schofield and Hannah Leighton from Oxford Archaeology North (OAN), on fieldwork in Snowdonia with David Leighton (centre) of the Royal Commission.

Field archaeologists have been making history by completing the final surveys in the 28-year long Uplands Archaeology Initiative.

The Uplands Archaeology Initiative has been in progress since 1987, and sponsored by the Royal Commission since 1991. Wales is essentially an upland country and this project is a programme of archaeological investigation designed to promote a wider and deeper understanding of Welsh upland heritage through survey, research and publication. Its core activity has been the exploration of upland above about 244m (800 ft) with teams of archaeologists recording sites and monuments they find there.

Exploration has focused on the unimproved moorland component of the Welsh landscape. Although some parts had previously been investigated to a greater or lesser degree and monuments identified, no systematic programme of reconnaissance had been carried out and vast areas remained entirely unexamined. This immense exploratory stage of the project draws to a close this year. By the end of March 2015 a little more than 2500 km2 of moorland will have been surveyed since the inception of the project. This work has taken place in all weathers, in some of the most exposed and extreme environments in Wales.

The final surveys are now being completed and the last covers upland to the south of Trawsfynydd, around Craig Aberserw in the Snowdonia National Park. Fieldwork here is being carried out by Peter Schofield and Hannah Leighton from Oxford Archaeology North (OAN), one of several organisations to have participated regularly in the project, through grant aid, over many years. OAN has now spent nine seasons working in the project in the uplands of North Wales since 2002. They have investigated 350 km2 of moorland and recorded some 4500 sites and monuments.

Hannah Leighton from Oxford Archaeology North (OAN) making a detailed record of an abandoned cottage settlement on moorland near Trawsfynydd.

Peter and Hannah have been looking at a broad range of ancient structures including abandoned settlements, burnt mounds, burial monuments, old peat workings and sheepfolds, many of which were entirely unknown. This diversity is typical of upland environments which are generally conducive to monument survival. By the close of this season it is anticipated that the entire programme of exploration will have resulted in the recording of around 42,000 previously unrecorded archaeological features, and the updating and enhancement of existing records for about 6000 more.

This dataset is a rich resource of information on past land use in the Welsh uplands. The Royal Commission will now begin to examine the legacy and achievements of this long running project. The future analysis of nearly three decades of survey data should lead to a deeper and richer understanding of the part played by the uplands in the history and culture of Wales.

By David Leighton

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Friday, 27 March 2015

One Hundred Years Ago Today…

The Western Approaches, off the coast of Pembrokeshire, were the hunting ground for the German submarine, U-28, under the command of Georg-Günther Freiherr (Baron) von Forstner. Two liners were sunk within 24 hours of each other. The first was the Dundee-built steamship AGUILA on 27 March. The second, a day later and with an even greater loss of life, was the West African mail steamer FALABA.

The AGUILA was built by Caledon Ship Building and Engineering Co, Dundee, in 1909. The vessel was one of several ships built by the yard for the Yeoward Line Ltd for their fruit importation and passenger service between Liverpool, Spain, Portugal and the Canary Islands. The steamship was primarily a cargo carrier, but could accommodate 82 first-class passengers and had a normal crew complement of 42.

The AGUILA was on passage from Liverpool to Lisbon and Los Palmas under the command of Captain Bannerman. At 6pm on 27 March 1915, the ship began to be chased on the surface by U-28. The u-boat fired a warning shot forcing Captain Bannerman to order his ship to stop. The ship’s lifeboats were then lowered to begin the evacuation. However the enemy continued to shell the AGUILA; the Chief Engineer and two men were killed by shrapnel, a female passenger was shot and a female stewardess drowned when a lifeboat capsized. In all, 20 shells hit the ship before the u-boat fired the torpedo that caused the AGUILA to break in two and sink.

The crew remembered by us today and on the memorial for Merchant Navy seaman and fishermen at Tower Hill, London, are as follows: R. A. Chantler, Boatswain; Ernest Chard, Second Mate; William George Edwards, Chief Engineer; Martha Emily Jenkins, Stewardess; Mathew Kirkman, Donkeyman; and J Peterson, Able Seaman.

The FALABA was sunk in Irish waters, some 30 miles to the west of the Smalls. Over 100 people were killed, including one American passenger, Leon Chester Thrasher, a 31-year-old mining engineer from Massachusetts. The Thrasher incident, as it became known in the US media, nearly brought America into the Great War.

Commemorating all who gave their lives for their country who have no grave but the sea.

If you have documents, photographs or family history information associated with either of these shipping losses, you are most welcome to add them to the collection we have started on People’s Collection Wales.

People's Collection Wales details:

Coflein details:

This general arrangement plan for the AGUILA from the archive of Caledon Shipbuilding Company shows the various compartments for the cargo and the arrangement of cabins for passengers and crew.

A very special thank you to Dundee Archives for allowing us to include an image of the plan on the People's Collection Wales website site.

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Monday, 23 March 2015

A New Archaeological Survey of Llanmelin Wood Hillfort, Caerwent

Survey in progress by Royal Commission Investigators at Llanmelin Wood hillfort, March 2015. Here GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) technology is used to gather highly accurate 3D data.
A new archaeological survey is in progress at the magnificent Llanmelin Wood Iron Age hillfort, which overlooks Caerwent Roman town in south-east Wales. The Royal Commission is working closely with Cadw to provide a new detailed survey and understanding of this important hillfort to underpin a programme of new management, access and interpretation.

In the early 1930s Llanmelin hillfort was the focus of intense activity. An original survey by Sir Mortimer Wheeler was improved by V. E. Nash-Williams who conducted three seasons of excavation between 1930-32. At the time the hillfort was thickly wooded with virtually no clear sight lines. Nash-Williams excavated many narrow excavation trenches and running sections to explore the hillfort. In 2012 a new community excavation led by Cadw with Archaeology Wales was carried out to recover better artefactual and dating evidence including evidence for occupation into the Romano-British period.

Over 80 years on from the original survey, archaeologists Louise Barker and Toby Driver have returned to make a new detailed record of the fort. This is a site where many questions remain. The main hillfort has massive defences like many in south Wales, but it is flanked by a rectangular annex divided into two main compounds and bounded by massive linear earthworks. The 1930s excavations produced two human skeletons on the peripheries of the annex, an incredibly rare find for any Welsh hillfort. Previous opinion has suggested the rectangular compounds were for keeping stock, but there are few entrances. Reappraisal of the site in the Gwent County History suggested Llanmelin may be a late Iron Age oppidum with high status funerary enclosures – the annex - developed alongside the settlement.

Llanmelin hillfort from the air in 2011, AP_2011_1115.
The new survey has identified previously unknown parts of the hillfort defences, discovered traces of an early phase enclosure within the main hillfort and recorded evidence of alterations or rebuilds to the ramparts. It is also making an accurate record of all the 1930s trenches, documenting management issues like animal burrows and erosion, and shedding new light on all parts of this complex site. When complete this will provide a starting point for a fresh appraisal of one of the most important Iron Age hillforts in south-east Wales.

Louise Barker and Toby Driver
Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Wednesday, 4 March 2015

Community Activities on the Montgomery Canal - Have Your Say

Carreghofa Locks on the Montgomeryshire Canal. NPRN 34577, Ref: DI2007_0791

Thanks to a development grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Canal & River Trust is able to conduct an extensive consultation in order to further develop ideas for community involvement based around the restoration of the Montgomery canal.

The community activities are part of ambitious plans to restore the 200 year old Montgomery Canal. Planned improvements include the reopening of 2km of canal, reinstatement of a winding hole (turning point) at Crickheath and towpath improvements between Welshpool and Llanymynech. The project also aims to complete the enlargement of Aston Locks nature reserve, extending the conservation of important aquatic plants, restoring historic bridges and carrying out further studies to secure the full funding needed for the project. The Trust will be working with the 14 partner organisations which make up the Montgomery Canal Partnership, which aims to fully restore the canal as a haven for people and nature and bring canal boats back for the first time in 80 years.

The consultation process is crucial in helping the Trust develop an activity plan that will propose all community activities along the Montgomery canal corridor over the next four years. Activities proposed include free to attend nature and wildlife walks and talks, school outreach projects, arts and musical festivals and performances, volunteering activities along the canal, community archaeology and many more ideas.

The consultation period will last until the end of March, and Montgomery Canal Community Development Officer, Sylvia Edwards, is inviting local people and other interested parties e.g. waterways, heritage, wildlife or outdoor activities in general, to fill in a five-minute online survey whose link can be found below. Please ask members of your family and friends to complete the survey too.

Survey questions:

Thank you for helping us make the Montgomery Canal a Resource for People and Wildlife.

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:


Related Posts with Thumbnails