Posts Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts      All Comments Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts     Cymraeg

Thursday, 30 April 2015

National Monuments Record of Wales Archives and Library Bulletin - April 2015

Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed.

Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00, Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.

April 2015


Cotswold Archaeology Projects Archive
Further additions to this collection of project archives produced by Cotswold Archaeology. Ref No CA034 to CA037

Date range: 2013-2015

Investigators’ Digital Photography
  • Photographs of Tank Trap at the head of Happy Valley near Pennal, 2011. C604005
  • Photographs of Montgomery Castle, 2015. C604009
  • Photographs of St Nicholas Church, Montgomery, from Montgomery Castle, 2015. C604021
  • Photographs of Ford at Cresswell Quay, 2015. C604051
  • photographs of the Fairbourne military defences after the winter storms of 2013-14, 2015. C604067
  • Photographic Survey of Hen Dy cwrdd, Trecynon, 2014. C604726
  • Photographic survey of Hen Gapel, Rhydowen, 2014. C605684
  • Digital photographs of Belmont House, Presteigne, 2015. C605185
  • Digital photographs of Pemprys, Ysgubor-y-coed, 2015. C605187

NMR Site Files
  • Rhuddlan Castle; black and white photographs taken by B.C. Clayton, transferred from National Buildings Record.
  • Caerphilly Castle; black and white photographs taken by B.C. Clayton, transferred from National Buildings Record. 1929
  • Caerleon Amphitheatre; black and white photographs taken by B.C. Clayton, transferred from National Buildings Record. 1929 C603779
  • Caerwent Church; black and white photographs taken by B.C. Clayton, transferred from National Buildings Record. 1929
  • Paulinus Stone, Caerwent; black and white photographs taken by B.C. Clayton, transferred from National Buildings Record. 1929
  • St Mary’s Church, Capel y Ffin; black and white photographs taken by B.C. Clayton, transferred from National Buildings Record. 1929
  • Monmouth; black and white photographs taken by B.C. Clayton, transferred from National Buildings Record. 1929
  • St Mary's Church Capel y Ffin; black and white photographs taken by RCAHMW.1929
  • St Benedict's Church, Gyffin; black and white photographs taken by RCAHMW.
  • Peat House, Tal-y-fan; black and white photographs taken by RCAHMW.
  • Ffynnon Bedr Cottage; black and white photographs taken by RCAHMW.

Interior view of Ffynnon-Bedr, Llanbedr y Cennin, taken 25.07.50.
  • St Peter's Church, Llanbedr-y-cennin; black and white photographs taken by RCAHMW.
  • Cyll Gwynion; black and white photographs taken by RCAHMW. 1951
  • Black and white prints of Menai Suspension Bridge, Menai Bridge.
  • Images of Denbigh Castle from National Buildings Record
  • Photo survey of Dolaugwyn, produced by RCAHMW.
  • Measured drawings and sketch plans of 2 High Street, Holywell produced by Geoff Ward following his site visit of March 2015.
  • Colour photographs showing roof timbers in St Ffraid's Church, Llansanffraid taken by Geoff Ward, undated.
  • Plan, cross-section and detail drawing of St Hilary’s, Llanilar produced by Geoff Ward. 1995
  • Photo survey of St Hilary's Church, produced by Geoff Ward. 1995 Colour photos and negatives produced by Geoff Ward during his site visit.
  • Field notes/drawings produced by Geoff ward during his site visit. St Hilary's Church, produced by Geoff Ward. 1995
  • Site plan and six colour photos showing Pemprys produced by Geoff Ward, undated.
  • Site plan, sketch plan and one colour photo showing Cae Mardin produced by Geoff Ward, 2001.
  • Site plan and one colour photo showing Dynyn Farmstead produced by Geoff Ward.
  • Site plan and six colour photos showing Bwlch-einion farmstead produced by Geoff Ward.
  • Site plan and four colour photos showing Bwlch-y-maen farmstead produced by Geoff Ward, undated.
  • Interior and exterior views of St Marys Church, Eglwys Rhos taken 01.01.48.

View of wooden spoon dated 1770 from St Marys Church, Eglwys Rhos taken 01.01.48. C603792
  • St Benedicts Church, Gyffin including detail of rood screen and ceiling paintings at taken 30.09.48.
  • Interior view of St Peters Church, Llanbedr y Cennin, taken 08.05.48.
  • Exterior view of cottage at Gyffin, taken 30.09.48.
  • Stereoscopic view of castellated gatehouse in Reigate.
  • Stereoscopic view of Rhyl Town from the pier by Francis Bedford of the North Wales Illustrated.
  • Stereoscopic view of Conway Castle seen from the suspension bridge by Francis Bedford of the North Wales Illustrated. Acetate.
  • Stereoscopic view of Old Town Wales (Southampton?) by Wiseman Photographs.
  • Stereoscopic view of St Mary's Church, Haverfordwest.
  • View of the ground floor of the Market Hall, Llanidloes by G B Mason. 1956
  • View of Menai Bridge, Anglesey by F T S Houghton.
  • Engraving and text of the north east view of Denbigh Castle.
Vernon D. Emmanuel Collection
Digital photographs showing views of iron works, collieries, brickworks and other industrial sites in South Wales scanned from photographs taken between 1970 and 1990 by Vernon David Emmanuel and deposited in the NMR by his son David Tudor Emmanuel. C604461

David Jones Slate Workers Housing Archive
Collection of material including photographs, research notes, discussion paper and dissertation relating to slate workers housing, produced or collated by David G. Jones between 1970-80

D.W. Crossley Collection
Collection of papers and illustrative material produced or collated by D.W. Crossley relating to excavations at Knock Rath and Merryborough Camp, Pembrokeshire, produced by D.W. Crossley.

Bryan Taylor Mills Collection
Research papers relating to mills, mainly in Wales, compiled by Bryan Taylor and comprising notes, reports, newspaper cuttings, drawings, photographs and slides.

Archaeological Reports/Evaluations (non Trust)
Project archive for an industrial heritage survey of Garth Industrial Estate carried out by CgMs Consulting for Castell International Limited, 2014-2015. C604025

Christopher J. Williams Mines Photographs
Colour photos showing views of Cefn y Gist Mine and Talar Goch mine, produced by C.J. Williams, 2008 – 2012

Colour photo showing general view of Cefn y Gist Mine, produced by C.J. Williams, 2008. C605167

Colour photo showing scaffold around the Clive Engine House at Talar Goch Mine, produced by C.J. Williams, 2012.

Geoff Ward Slide Collection
Colour slides of mainly vernacular buildings in Wales, produced by Geoff Ward during his career at RCAHMW. Ref No GWSC038 to GWSC187

Including photographs of the following sites. Date range: 1997-2005
  • Mona Inn, Holyhead Road
  • 10 Castle Street, Beaumaris
  • 45 Swansea Road, Hirwaun
  • Home Farm, Llandefalle
  • Buildings at Neuadd, Trecastle
  • Pen y Wern, Llanspyddid
  • Ciliau, Erwood produced
  • Hafod Llwyfog, Beddgelert
  • Interior and exterior views of Alexandra Hall, Aberystwyth
  • Siop Ffynnon Oer, Temple Bar
  • Llansantffraid Church
  • Buildings at Hafod-Las
  • Buildings at Green Grove Farm, Felin-fach
  • Nant y Gelli, Ystrad Aeron
  • Nanteos Stables
  • Felin Cwm mills, Rhydlewis
  • Troedrhiwfallen, Cribyn
  • Maesllyn Cottage, Llanon
  • Penrhiw, Bow Street
  • Gelli-Gron, Tregaron
  • Talbot Hotel, Tregaron
  • Ffos y Ffin Chapel
  • Mercantile Warehouse, Cardigan
  • Bridge Warehouse, Cardigan
  • Aberystwyth Gas Works
  • Tennis Pavilion, Aberystwyth
  • Interior views of D. Evans, Jewellers 39/41 Great Darkgate Street, Aberystwyth
  • Seabank Hotel 5, 6 and 7 Victoria Terrace, Aberystwyth
  • Old Black Lion, Pontrhydfendigaid
  • Skinner Street Chapel, Aberystwyth
  • Views in Laura Place, Aberystwyth
  • 20 Quay Street, Cardigan
  • Felin Hafod Wen, Cribyn
  • Cwm Bychan Farmhouse and Farm Buildings
  • Maes Glas Old and New Chapels, Ysbyty Ystwyth
  • Ysbyty Ystwyth Old and New Churches
  • Siop Fach, Neuadd Llwyd
  • Trawsgoed Mansion
  • Gwar Cwm Uchaf
  • Gwar Drysgol
  • Brock Hill, Borth
  • Trefynnor Isaf
  • Nant Crafanglach, Cwm Ystwyth
  • Llwynpiod, Synod Inn
  • Moorlands, Borth
  • Pier Cottage, Quay Parade
  • Ty'n y Cwm, Llanon
  • Ty Round, Llyswen, Aberaeron
  • Pen Lan Isaf, Llanfihangel-y-creuddyn
  • Cwrt y Cwm, Llanfarian
  • Oak House, Carmarthen
  • Cil-maen-llwyd, Dyffryn Cennen
  • Ty Hir, Talley
  • Myrtle Hill, Llansawel
  • Lleniau (Beilu Mawr), Llangeler
  • Legar, Meidrim
  • Marchogllwyn Farm Buildings, Pontyberem
  • Pen Bak Farm, Llandissilio West
  • Gilfach y Berthog, Abergwili
  • Neuadd Fawr, Llanwrda
  • Banc y Gwyn Farmstead, Llansadawrn
  • Garn Farm, Llanddarog
  • Fron-ganol Farm, Llanboidy
  • Llanboidy Church
  • Cwm Tywyll Farm, Llandyssul
  • 18 Queen Street , Carmarthen
  • Ty Melyn, Ffairfach
  • 51 King Street , Carmarthen
  • Bryn Farmhouse, Halghton
  • Rose Cottage, Ruthin
  • Llewenni Hall Stables, Denbigh
  • Llewenni Uchaf, outbuildings
  • Tan y Llan house and outbuildings, Bronwylfa
  • Midland Bank, Wrexham
  • Dee Mill
  • Malt House, Llansilin
  • Tan Llan, Llanefydd
  • Talwrn House and outbuildings, Marchwiel
  • Island Green Malthouse
  • Baptist Chapel, Henllan Place
  • Llewenni Uchaf outbuildings
  • Moeliwrch, Llansilin
  • 12 Bridge Street, Llanfyllin
  • Ruinous Bettisfield windmill tower, Cadney Bank
  • Bagillt Lock-up
  • Camfa Rhinallt barns, Leeswood
  • Nerquis Hall outbuildings
  • Exchange House, Holywell
  • Buildings in Holywell
  • Mill Road Cottage, Horseman’s Green
  • Glasshouses at Nerquis Hall
  • St Thomas' Church, Pantbach Road, Cardiff
  • Vulcan House, Aberystwyth
  • 46 Swansea Road, Hirwaun
  • Castleton Farm Buildings, St Athan
  • Malt House, Llantrisant
  • West Orchard Farmhouse
  • Boverton Place Barn, Llantwit Major
  • Seamouth Cottage, Southerndown
  • Parish Hall, Llantrisant
  • Buildings and features at Hetty Pit, Great Western Colliery
  • Llwydiarth, Aberllefenni
  • Brook House, Caldicot
  • Ty Hwnt y Bwlch, Crucorney
  • 20-22 Drybridge Street, Monmouth
  • Great Milton, Llanwern
  • Waun Dew, Beaufort
  • Tir Bach, Pontypool
  • The Grange, house and outbuildings, Llangattock
  • Newport Market
  • Newport Crown Court
  • Coity House, Blaenavon
  • 12 Castle Street, Brecon
  • Upper House, Crickhowell
  • Gaer Fawr, Guilsfield
  • Elerch, Churchstoke
  • Snead Farm, Churchstoke
  • Stone House Farm
  • 14 Broad Street, Newtown
  • Buildings in Crown Street, Newtown
  • Gorphwysfa Farmstead
  • Plas Machynlleth
  • London House, Llanfyllin
  • The Old Brewery, Llanfyllin
  • Corn Warehouse, Pembroke
  • Dovecot at Great Nash Farm
  • House and outbuildings at Llawhaden House
  • Outbuildings at Llangwarren Farm
  • Farm buildings at Carnachen Wen, Mathry
  • Poyer's Arms, Templeton
  • Felin Pant y Deri, Llanfair Nant-gwyn
  • Llanreithin House
  • Coedcanlais Farmhouse, Martletwy
  • Commerce House, Haverfordwest
  • Penrhos, Llanstephan
  • 34-35 Market Street, Knighton
  • Gethin Farmhouse, Clyro
  • Hergest, Glascwm
  • Clatterbrune, Presteigne
  • Blaen y Cwm Farmhouse, Llangunllo
  • Farmhouse and buildings at Pilleth Court, Whitton
  • Tabernacle Chapel, Aberystwyth
  • The kitchen garden at Penllergaer
  • Ty'r Godwith, Blaenavon
  • The greenhouse at Clyne, Mumbles
  • 35-37 Eastgate, Aberystwyth (St Davids Club)
  • 36 Eastgate, Aberystwyth
  • 9-11 Pier Street, Aberystwyth
  • 19 Pier Street, Aberystwyth
  • Bellevue Royal Hotel, Aberystwyth
  • Blue Bell, Aberystwyth
  • Pant Wilco, Llanwnnen
  • Houses in Blaenplwyf, Llanfarian
  • Unnamed house on road between Llanrhystud and Trefilan
  • Corner House, Gladestry
  • Grove Farmstead, Knighton
  • Old Vicarage, Llowes
  • Borras Hall, Holt
  • Trelowgoed Farm Buildings, Llanbadarn Fawr
  • Fron Farmstead, Disserth
  • Llwyn-cwta farmstead, St Harman
  • Roof timbers at 4-9, Scottleton Street, Presteigne
  • St Cewydd's Church, Aberedw
  • Twm Tobacco's Grave, Aberedw
  • Rhiwiau Farmstead, New Radnor
  • Pantau, Aberedw
  • Well Cottage, Presteigne
  • Llawhaden House, Llawhaden
  • Hendre-Fach Barn, Nantmel
  • An unamed house in Beguildy
  • An unamed house in Llanbister
  • Stone House, Beguildy
  • Neuadd Farmhouse, Llandrindod Wells
  • Gilfach y Rhiw Farmhouse, St Harmon

Additional Information Collection
  • Colour photos The Tumble, Garn-Ddyrhys taken by Olwen Jenkins, 2002. C604625
  • Copies of measured drawings showing a number of buildings at RAF Brawdy, many of them since demolished, produced by various consultancies for the Property Services Agency. 1983-87. C604626
  • Account of Cardiff Corporation Waterworks at Llanishen Dam produced by C.H. Priestly.1923. C604837
  • Report by Andrew Hill on the historical importance of the Lisvane and Llanishen Reservoirs, 2005. C604848
  • Copies of measured drawings showing a number of buildings at RNAD Trecwn, many of them since demolished, produced by various consultancies for the Property Services Agency. 1983-87
  • Copy of site plan and list of buildings at RNMD Newton Noyes, produced for the Property Services Agency. 1992. C604884
  • Copies of measured drawings produced by The National Trust showing the military hospital at Dinefwr park (1940-46) 1992. C604885
  • Set of photographs of All Saints Church, both colour and black and white collected by Felipe Brando-Cadavid. C604922

General Digital Donations Collection
  • Digital photo survey of Gosen Chapel produced by Tony Cullen, deposited with NMRW as a condition of planning consent. C604050
  • Digital records relating to All Saints Church, Maerdy, produced by Felipe Brando_Cadavid. C604929 

RCAHMW General Scanned Image Collection
  • Digital copies of a set of twelve images showing cruck-framed buildings in Montgomeryshire, loaned for copying by David Archer, 1983. C604079

General Information Collection
  • Bound offprint from the Archaeologia Aeliana of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, entitled The Discovery of a Hoard of Roman Coins on the Wall of Hadrian, in Northumberland. By John Clayton, 1879-1880. Accompanied by a hand-written letter addressed to M. Hogg dated 28 June 1880.

D.B. Hague Slide Collection
Colour slides showing bridges (mainly suspension bridges) in Wales, produced or collated by Douglas Hague. Date range 1960-1970s. C604154.

Stephen Hughes Slide Collection
Colour slides showing the following sites, date range 1976 - 2002:
  • Buildings at Wynnstay, Ruabon
  • Interior and exterior views of the mansion and outbuildings at Wynnstay
  • Buildings at Blaenavon Ironworks
  • Nynehead Lift, Somerset
  • Woollard Copper/Brass Mill, Somerset, and Black Castle, Bristol
  • Woodborough and Woollard Copper/Brass Mills, Somerset
  • Warmley Copper/Brass Mills, Somerset, and SS Great Britain, Bristol
  • Warmley Copper/Brass Mills, and Factory East, Bristol
  • Inlet House at Warmley Copper/Brass Mills
  • Chambered tombs in Merioneth
  • chambered tomb at Dyffryn Ardudwy
  • Memorial to the industrialist Thomas Jones in Aberystwyth produced by Stephen Hughes, 1997-1999.
  • Llandudno Lighthouse and Great Orme Copper Mines produced by Stephen Hughes, 1994
  • Buildings at Blaenavon produced by Stephen Hughes, 1996.
  • Buildings in Llanstephan

Chapels in the following places. Date range 1996 to 2002:
  • Chapels in Breconshire
  • Chapels in Ruabon and Bala
  • Chapels in Colwyn Bay
  • Chapels in Cwmorthin
  • Chapels and workers housing at Beaufort
  • Chapels in Blaenavon
  • Chapel architecture in industrial communities
  • Chapels in Carmarthenshire
  • Buildings, mainly chapels at Beaufort/Brynmawr
  • Chapels at Blaenavon and Newport
  • Chapels in Monmouthshire
  • Chapels in Bala produced
  • Chapels in Dinas Mawddwy
  • Calvinistic Chapel, Bronllys
  • Chapels in Ruabon/Rhosllanerchrugog
  • Chapels in Dolgellau
  • Malthouse and chapels in Wrexham
  • Chapels in Rhosllanerchrugog
  • Chapels in Dolgellau/Bala
  • Bethel Chapel, Rhos
  • Bethlehem Chapel, Blaenavon
  • Chapels in Rhosllanerchrugog
  • Chapels in Llandudno Junction, and, produced by Stephen Hughes, 1999.
  • Chapels and churches in Ebbw Vale
  • Key chapels by Thomas and Humphrey
  • Buildings and chapels in the area around Builth, Talgarth and Trefecca,
  • Chapels in Brynmawr
  • Two Thomas Thomas chapels in Groes-wen
  • Workers housing and Thomas Thomas chapels in Gwynedd
  • Chapels in Beaufort produced
  • Memorials at Bethel Chapel, Sketty
  • Chapels at Llangurig and Llandrindod
  • Chapels and other buildings in Bangor
  • Chapels and workers housing in Ebbw Vale
  • Chapels in Llandrindod and Rhayader
  • Chapels in Swansea
  • Thomas Thomas chapels


Aberystwyth Area Tourism Task Force, (UD.), Aberystwyth and area: the heart of Welsh culture, Aberystwyth Town Council, Aberystwyth.

Bullock, Nicholas, 2002, Building the post-war world, modern architecture and reconstruction in Britain, Routledge, London.

Burton, Janet E. & Stöber, Karen, 2015, The abbeys and priories of medieval Wales, University of Wales Press, Cardiff.

Craster, O. E., 1965, (reprint), Ancient monuments of Anglesey, HMSO, London.

Creighton, Oliver Hamilton, 2013, Designs upon the land: elite landscapes of the middle ages, The Boydell Press, Suffolk.

Crew, Peter & Musson, Chris, 1996, Eryri o'r awyr, patrymau yn y tirlun, Snowdonia National Park Authority, Penrhyndeudraeth.

Croeso I eglwys gadeiriol Llanelwy/Welcome to St Asaph Cathedral, Eglwys gadeiriol Llanelwy/St Asaph cathedral, Llanelwy.

Edwards, Owen M., 1892, Cymru; Volume III, D. W. Davies a'i Gwmni, Caernarfon.

Evans, John, 1907, Yr ail fyr-gofiant, E. W. Evans, Dolgellau.

Evans, Beriah Gwynfe, 1900, Diwygwyr Cymru, B. G. Evans, Caernarfon.

Evans, E. Herber, 1893, Dysgedydd a'r hwn unwyd yr annibynwr yn cynwys, W. Hughes, Dolgellau.

Faleer, Robert A., 2009, Church woodwork in the British Isles, 110 – 1535: an annotated bibliography, Scarecrow Press Inc., Maryland USA.

Foord, Edward A., 1925, St. David's, Llandaff & Brecon, J. M. Dent & Sons, London.

Flintshire & Denbighshire C. C. & Wrexham C. B. C., (ud), The official guide to attractions in the North Wales borderlands.

French, Derek, 1985, Dictionary of accounting terms, Financial Training Publications Ltd., London.

Gibson, William and Morgan-Guy, John, (Eds.), 2015, Religion and society in the Diocese of St Davids 1485 – 2011, Ashgate Publishing, Farnham.

Gould, J., 1964, Excavations at Wall (Stafforshire), 1961-3: On the site of the early Roman forts and of the late Roman defences, Archaeological and Historical Society, Staffordshire.

Gould, J., 1967, Excavations at Wall, Stafforshire, 1964-6, on the site of the Roman forts, Archaeological and Historical Society, Staffordshire.

Green, H. S.,1980, Excavations at Pontnewydd Cave, Clwyd, 1978-80, National Museum of Wales, Cardiff.

Gwyn, David, 2015, Llechi Cymru: Archaeoleg a Hanes, CBHC/RCAHMW, Aberystwyth.

Gwyn, David, 2015, Welsh Slate: Archaeology and History of an Industry, CBHC/RCAHMW, Aberystwyth.

Hague, D. B., Lighthouses, Butterworths Scientific Publications, Powys.

Houlder, Christopher, 1974, Wales, an archaeological guide: the prehistoric, Roman and early medieval field monuments, Faber & Faber, London.

Hughes, John Peredur (Pred Hughes), 2015, Foundries, amidst the Slate Industry of NW Wales, Sara Eade, Newtown.

Jenkins, R. T., 1934, Y ffordd yng Nghymru, Hughes a'i Fab a'r Cwmni Cyhoeddi Addysgol, Wrecsam a Chaerdydd.

Jennings, Nina, 2003, Clay Dabbins : vernacular buildings of the Solway Plain, Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, Kendal.

Jervoise, Edwyn, 1930, The ancient bridges of the south of England, The Architectural press, London.

Jones, Gwyn, 1997, A walk around Abergavenny, Abergavenny Local History Society, Abergavenny.

Letts, John, 2007, Growing straw for thatching: a guide, COHT Committee, Somerset.

Morris, James, 1911, Hanes Methodistiaeth Sir Gaerfyrddin, E. W. Evans, Dolgfellau.

Musty, A. E. S., Excavations at Waltham Abbey.

Oswald, Adrian, 1958, Observation and excavation at Manduessedum, Oxford University Press, Oxford

Pryce, Jeremy, 2008, Llandinam : meandering byways & pathways to the past, Jeremy Pryce, Llandinam.

Pryce, Jeremy, 2008, A history of Llandinam and parish by B. Bennett Rowlands 1836-1915; edited by Jeremy Pryce and Susan Brachi, Jeremy Pryce, Llandinam.

Pryce, Jeremy, 2014(reprint), Llandinam : a glimpse of the past, Jeremy Pryce, Llandinam.

Radford, C. A. Ralegh, 1985, Acton Burnell Castle, Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission.

Rahtz, P. A. and Barton, K. J., c. 1958, Maes Knoll Camp, Dundry, Somerset: 1. Trial excavations, 1958.

Ravetz, Alison, 2001, Council housing and culture: the history of a social experiment, Routledge, London.

Reynolds, A. Martin, 1993, All our yesterdays: A pictorial history of Llantrisant & Pontyclun, Parish Pump Press, Pontyclun.

Richards, Maurice, 1983, An outline of the Newtown woollen industry, Newtown Textile Museum, Powys.

Round, A. A., 1974, The bath-house at Wall, Staffs., Excavations in 1971, Archaeological and Historical Society, Staffordshire.

Steel & Coal, 1962, A great day: the opening of Spencer Works.

Stevens, Roger, 1979, A look at Crickhowell, Powys, Brecon Beacons National Park, Crickhowell.

Thomas, Graham Stuart, 1972, Powis Castle Gardens, Montgomeryshire, National Trust, London.

The National Trust, 1978, Powis Castle, National Trust, London.

Trueman, Michael, 1997, MPP gas industry, Lancaster University Archaeological Unit, Lancaster.

Trueman, Michael, 1998, MPP oil industry, Lancaster University Archaeological Unit, Lancaster.

Wakelin, Peter, 2015, Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal World Heritage Site, Canal and River Trust & RCAHMW.

Watkins, Charles and Cowell, Ben, 2012, Uvedale Price (1747 - 1829): decoding the picturesque, The Boydell Press, Woodbridge.

Williams, Glanmor, 1997, Wales and the Reformation, (reprint of Chapter 2 from Wales and the Reformation), University of Wales Press, Cardiff.


Ancient Monuments Society Newsletter 01/2015 (Winter-Spring)

Antiquity vol. 89 no. 344 (April 2015)

British Archaeology no. 142 (May-June 2015)

Capel Newsletter no. 65 (Spring 2015) and Capel Local Information Leaflet 76: Caernarfon

Current Archaeology no. 302 (May 2015)

Etifeddiaeth y Cymry rh. 60 (Gwanwyn 2015)

Heritage in Wales no. 60 (Spring 2015)

Medieval Settlement Research vol. 29 (2014)

Melin vol. 29 (2013)

Morgannwg vol. 58 (2014)

Past no. 79 (April 2015)

Pembrokeshire Life (April 2015)

Pen Cambria no. 28 (Spring 2015)

Railway and Canal Historical Society Bulletin no. 455 (May-June 2015)

Sheetlines no. 102 (April 2015)

Site Recorder no. 1584 (April 2015)

Welsh Stone Forum Newsletter no. 12 (March 2015)

Journals Current Awareness

Ancient Monuments Society Newsletter 01/2015, p. 59: Review of Discovering the Historic Houses of Snowdonia.

British Archaeology no. 142, p. 8: Britain in Archaeology section, note about the division of English Heritage into two separate bodies, English Heritage and Historic England.

Capel Newsletter no. 65: ‘Digital Dissent: The Story of Welsh Chapels’ [about the launch of the Welsh Chapels website, a collaboration between Addoldai Cymru: The Welsh Religious Buildings Trust and RCAHMW]

Current Archaeology no. 302, p. 22: ‘Mills, down South: Exploring a forgotten heritage’ by Chris Catling

Contact us
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:

NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Crown Building,
Plas Crug,
SY23 1NJ

Telephone: +44 (0)1970 621200
Fax: +44 (0)1970 627701

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Friday, 17 April 2015

Discover the Source of the River Usk on the Royal Commission’s Big Welsh Walk: Saturday, 9 May 2015

Low clouds in mountains at the source of the Usk.
Following last year’s successful exploration of Fan Llia to Fan Dringarth led by the Royal Commission as part of Ramblers Cymru Big Welsh Walk, held annually throughout the month of May, another exciting walk has now been planned for this year in partnership with Cadw and Ramblers Cymru. On Saturday, 9 May, senior archaeologist David Leighton will lead an informative and interesting guided walk that will take in the upper reaches of the River Usk as far as its source (below the cliffs of Fan Brycheiniog and Bannau Sir Gaer), and the far eastern side of Mynydd Du. Setting off from the parking and picnic area at Pont ar Wysg at SN82002715 and slowly climbing to 2000 foot above sea-level, this 11 km circular walk will reveal a range of sites of the prehistoric, Roman, medieval and later periods along the route. This walk of breathtaking views in the beautiful Beacon Beacons National Park will include a number of Bronze Age burial cairns, the remains of a Roman marching camp and even a large nineteenth-century sheep fold with its numerous cells. Accompanied by other Royal Commission staff, including architectural historian Richard Suggett, David Leighton will offer his historical expertise along the way sharing a wealth of knowledge gained through his many years as coordinator of the Royal Commission’s successful long-running Upland’s Project. The day promises to be great day out for keen walkers of all ages and a rare opportunity to discover more about the heritage which surrounds us!

Places for the walk are still available, although limited. For further details and booking please contact

As part of the Ramblers’ 80th anniversary celebrations, this year’s Big Welsh Walk will be bigger than ever! For further details see their website at

A list of heritage walks planned by Cadw can be found on the events page of Cadw’s website at

Ponies and stone circle in the upper Usk Valley: one of the sites on the walk.

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Wednesday, 8 April 2015

Two Unique Anglesey Anniversaries

2015 marks a unique event for a celebrated village on Anglesey – a centenary and a bi-centenary.

On the 16 September 1915, the first meeting of the Women’s Institute in Britain took place in an unassuming building in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (or Llanfair PG). The movement was formed in Canada in 1897. Their aim was to revitalise rural communities and encourage the local country-women to help increase supplies of domestic food supplies during the Great War. The original meeting hall still stands, beside the old A5 trunk road through the village.

There are over 200,000 members of the WI in the UK, and the movement has evolved to become the largest women’s voluntary organisation in the country.

For the second anniversary, you only have to travel a short distance to the east of the hall, to Craig y Dinas, and the striking column that was erected in 1817 as a tribute and to Henry William Paget, the first Marquis of Anglesey. The title was awarded to him in July 1815 - in recognition of his bravery and leadership at the Battle of Waterloo, where the French army, commanded by Napoleon, was defeated by the Anglo-allied army, commanded by the Duke of Wellington and the Prussian army, led by Gebhard von Blucher, on the 18 June 1815.

Paget was the cavalry commander on that day. He and Wellington were on their horses and observing the scene before them. Grape shot from one of the very last French cannon volleys of the battle hit Paget’s right knee. He looked down and said “By God, sir, I’ve lost my leg!” Wellington instantly replied “By God, sir, so you have!”

The bronze statue was a later addition to the column. It was placed there in 1860 after Paget died, at a grand old age of 85.

By Medwyn Parry

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Wednesday, 1 April 2015

AVAILABLE NOW! New Royal Commission Publication ‘Welsh Slate - Archaeology and History of an Industry’ by David Gwyn

Slates from quarries in Wales once went to roof the world. By the late nineteenth century as many as a third of all the roofing slates produced world-wide came from Wales, competing with quarries in France and the United States. This exciting and lavishly illustrated new book traces the slate industry from its origins in the Roman period, its slow medieval development and then its massive expansion in the nineteenth century – as well as through its long drawn out decline in the twentieth.

Dinorwic Quarry viewed from the west, across Llyn Peris (AP_2010_2454, NPRN 40538)

The books author David Gwyn, draws not only on the extensive industrial archaeology of the quarries themselves and the historic evidence of the stunning landscapes within which they are situated, but also on legal and company records, port books, local and national newspapers, trade journals, painting and photographic collections and parish histories to build up a picture of this distinctive industry.

The Cornish beam engine at Dorothea quarry, Nantlle, built 1904-06 (DI2013_0723, NPRN 26409)

Separate chapters examine the quarries themselves and the ways in which the rock was extracted and processed. Others examine the evidence for the technologies that made the quarries possible – the pumping and power systems, the internal and overland transport systems, and the sailing ships that exported the finished slates all over the globe.

The 1924 Australia Mill at Dinorwic with its row of saw tables (DS2013_509_005, NPRN 419478)

It also looks at the distinctive settlement and community created by the quarrymen and their families, in towns like Bethesda and Blaenau Ffestiniog, and villages like Deiniolen, Tal y Sarn and Abergynolwyn.

The Ffestiniog quarries and slate-quarrymen’s city of Blaenau Ffestiniog (AP_2011_3093, NPRN 305760)

Welsh Slate. Archaeology and History of an Industry is a large format book of 291 pages with 243 high-quality illustrations, and costs £45.

Welsh Slate - Archaeology and History of an Industry
For further details and to order a copy, please contact the Royal Commission on 01970 621200,

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:


Related Posts with Thumbnails