Posts Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts      All Comments Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts     Cymraeg

Monday, 2 February 2015

National Monuments Record of Wales Archives and Library Bulletin - January 2015





Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. http://www.rcahmw.gov.uk/HI/ENG/Our+Services/Donate+Records/Recent+Acquisitions/. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed.

Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00, Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.


Ionawr ~ January 2015


Archif ~ Archives
Ordnance Survey Antiquity Models Collection: Ref No OSAM
Multiple sets of maps and Antiquity Models at various scales including 1:1250; 1:2500 and 1:10000 produced, collated and annotated by RCAHMW in the course of work carried out for Ordnance Survey c.1980-1995

NMR Site Files – B/W Photos
Exterior view of Plas Mawr, Llanedy, taken 30.04.63.NPRN:1771, Ref: DI2014_2491
  • Cross-slab inscribed stone at Llandefaelog Fach Church: Field monument warden report produced by J.A. Arnold, 1986: C599291 and 3 black and white photos taken in c1967: C599292 
  • 1958 Photo survey of Haverfordwest Castle: C600075 
  • 1981 and 1988 Photo surveys of St Mary's Church, Coity: C599627, C599643 
  • Undated Photo survey of Heol y Cyw Baptist Chapel: C599654 
  • 1963 Photo survey of Plas Mawr, Llanedy: C599886 
  • Undated Photo survey of Haverfordwest Castle: C600067 
  • Undated Photo survey of an unidentified cottage in Ponterwyd: C600135 
  • Undated Photo survey of Gwaunysgor Church: C600187, C 600195 
  • Two black and white photographs taken by S.M. Reynolds, showing St David's Cathedral: C600210 
Haverfordwest Castle from the south, taken by G. B. Mason, 1958 NPRN: 94235 Ref: DI2010_1528

RCAHMW General Scanned Image Collection
  • Digitised negatives showing St David's Church, Llanddewi Brefi in 1970: C599794 
  • Digitised negatives showing St Padarn's Church, Llanbadarn Fawr in 1970: C599797 
  • Digitised negatives showing Ty Cerig, Blaenpennal in1963: C599846 
Cadw Registered Files Collection
  • Bilingual, illustrated booklet relating to the life and work of Sir John Rhys, 1949-1968: C600226 
History of the Royal Commission Collection
  • Set of negatives (without prints) showing members of staff of RCAHMW in their new offices at Plas Crug. c.1991: C599197 
Ordnance Survey Antiquity Models Collection
  • 1980 Antiquity Models for NGR: C599565 
Archaeology Wales Project Archives
  • Archaeological archives for sites across Wales all with electronic reports. 
Investigators' Digital Photography

Fron Newydd - Clom extension and house from the west, NPRN: 420719, Ref: DS2015_001_037
1976 Photo surveys of:
  • Trefechan Lead Store and smelting furnace, Aberystwyth: C599177 
  • Twyn-Glas Furnace, Llanover: C599190 
  • Trefechan Limekiln, Aberystwyth Harbour: C599180 
  • Pentyrch Forge: C599194 
  • Pantyfedwen;Grand Hotel, Borth: C599198 
  • Bridgend Sawmill, Llanidloes: C599200 
  • Bridgend Flannel Mill;Town Factory, Llanidloes: C599204 
  • Union Ironworks Stables and Manager's House: C599207 

1993 Photo surveys of:
  • White Rock Copperworks Complex, Swansea, final stage of White Rock Heritage Park consolidation: C599467, C600023, C600049 
  • Townshend's Great Leat and Waggonway: C600059 
  • Esgair Hir Lead Mine, Ceredigion: C600080 
  • Esgair Fraith Mine, Ceredigion: C600086 
  • Ystrad Einion Lead, Silver, Zinc and Copper Mine, Ceredigion: C600098 
  • Bwlch Gwyn Lead Mine, Ystumtuen, Ceredigion: C600113 

1996 Photo surveys of:
  • Cefn-Coed-y-Cymmer Viaduct, Merthyr Tydfil: C599214 
  • Tabor Welsh Independent Chapel, Cefn-Coed-y-Cymmer: C599218 
  • St John's Church, Cefn-Coed-y-Cymmer: C599226 
  • Hen Dy Cwrdd;Unitarian Chapel, Cefn-Coed-y-Cymmer: C599235 
  • Neath Canal, Ynysbwllog Aqueduct: C599239 
  • Nant Carn Aqueduct, Monmouthshire Canal, Abercarn: C599370 
  • Abercarn Blast Furnace: C599380 
  • Rhymney Limestone Railway;Rhymney Mineral Railway: C599346 
  • Llanbradach Colliery site: C599353 
  • Tabor Welsh Congregational Chapel, Maesycwmmer: C599356 
  • Hengoed Viaduct, Ystrad Mynach: C599360 
  • St David's Church, Pengam: C599363 
  • Britannia Colliery site, Pengam: C599366 
  • Penrhyn Bridge, West drive, Penrhyn Castle Estate: C599332 
  • Pen-y-Bryn House, Penrhyn Estate: C599336 
  • Aber-Ogwen Bridge, Penrhyn Castle Estate: C599296 
  • Penrhyn Castle Complex: C599319 
  • Cegin Viaduct, Penrhyn Railroad, Port Penrhyn: C599323 
  • Nant Carn Aqueduct, Monmouthshire Canal, Abercarn: C599370 
  • Abercarn Blast Furnace: C599380 
  • Rhymney Limestone Railway;Rhymney Mineral Railway: C599346 
  • Llanbradach Colliery site: C599353 
  • Tabor Welsh Congregational Chapel, Maesycwmmer: C599356 
  • Hengoed Viaduct, Ystrad Mynach: C599360 
  • St David's Church, Pengam: C599363 
  • Britannia Colliery site, Pengam: C599366 
  • Ebbw Vale former Steelworks Complex: C599849 & C599861 

1997 Photo surveys of:
  • St Stephen's Church;St Ystyffan, Llansteffan: C599385 
  • Holy Trinity Church, Llanybri: C599388 
  • Hen Gapel;St Mary's Church, Llanybri: C599390 
  • Coombe Cheshire Home, Cwm: C599396 
  • Cefn Gwyn Lead Mine, Ceredigion: C598753 
  • Ty Newydd Lead Mine (disused), Moelgolomen, NE of Bont-goch: C599713 
  • Bwlchglas Mine;Ochrlwyd Mine, E of Talybont: C599744 
  • Old road bridge, Gilwern: C599800 
  • Dan-y-Bont Woollen Mill;Clockworks, Gilwern: C599803 
  • Forgeside, Blaenavon: C599808 
  • Cwm-Du Railway Viaduct, Pentre Piod: C599833 
  • Newport Cattle Market, Newport: C599838 
  • Baltic Warehouse, Newport Docks: C599844 
  • Riverside building NE of Whitebrook Village Hall: C599988 
  • Bridget's Mills, Wye Valley Paper Mills, Whitebrook: C599990 
  • The Glynn Paper Mill;The Glyn;Whitebrook Fram, Whitebrook: C599993 


1998 Photo surveys of:
  • St John the Baptist Church, Risca Rd, Newport: C600006 
  • Clewer Court;Old Theological College, Newport: C600014 
  • Llanthewey Road Baptist Chapel, Allt-yr-Yn: C600019 

1999 Photo surveys of:
  • Tabernacl Welsh Calvinistic Methodis Chapel, Aberaeron: C599339 
  • Tabernacl Welsh Independent Chapel, Ffairfach: C599344 
  • Carnedd Tre'r Ceiri, Llanaelhaearn: C599935 
  • Tre'r Ceiri Hillfort: C599945 

2000 Photo surveys of:
  • Congregational Memorial College, Brecon: C599401 
  • Dinas Noddfa Welsh Baptist Chapel, Landore: C599080 
  • Methodist Church, Plas Marl: C599105 
  • Hebron Welsh Independent Chapel, Clydach: C599114 
  • Town Clock, Tredegar: C599130 
  • Congregational Memorial College, Brecon: C599132 
  • Saron Welsh Independent Chapel, Tredegar: C599117 
  • Siloh Independent Chapel, High Street, Maesteg: C600131 
  • Rechabite Hall, Bangor: C600133 

2001 Photo surveys of:
  • Bethesda Welsh Independent Chapel (New chapel), Llangennech: C599051 
  • Bethesda Independent Chapel (Old chapel) and Sunday School, Llangennech: C599057 
  • Capel Als Independent Chapel, Llanelli: C599062 
  • Bethel Welsh Baptist Chapel, Llanelli: C599072 
  • Siloah Independent Chapel, Llanelli: C599074 
  • Ebenezer Welsh Independent Chapel, Llansadwrn: C599257 
  • Pumpsaint Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel: C599244 
  • Caio Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel: C599248 
  • Seion Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Llansadwrn: C599252 
  • Providence Welsh Independent Chapel, Llangadog: C599264 
  • Ebenezer Independent Chapel, Lower Brynaman: C599271 
  • Carmel Welsh Independent Chapel, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen: C599277 
  • Merchants Hill Baptist Chapel, Pontnewynydd: C599283 
  • Pen-Ffordd-Goch pond or Keeper's pond, Llanfoist Fawr: C599288 
  • Saron Welsh Independent Chapel, Tredegar: C599428 
  • Pendref Welsh Methodist Church, Mold: C599668 
  • Y Green, Welsh Independent Chapel, Green: C599672 
  • St Alphonsus Catholic Church, Great Mersey Street, Liverpool: C599680 
  • Tabernacle English Congregational Church, Holywell: C599685 
  • Tabernacle Methodist Church, Somerset St, Abertillery: C599689 
  • English Congregational Chapel, Blaina: C599695 
  • River Row Independent Chapel, Blaina: C599700 
  • Garnfach Methodist Chapel, Nantyglo and Blaina: C599704 

2002 Photo survey of:
  • Ogofau Goldmines, Dolaucothi, Pre 19th century workings: C599974

2007 Photo survey of:
  • Hufenfa Meirion Milk Depot: C599574

2011 Photo survey of:
  • Pont Llanio Old Milk Factory and Railway station: C599593, C599617

2013 Photo of:
  • April Jones Memmorial Tree, Machynlleth

2014 Photo survey of:
  • Ffairfach Creamery: C599599


Ffair Fach Creamery, 2014, NPRN: 300568, Ref: DS2015_008_003

2015 Photo surveys of:
  • Tal y Garreg hillfort: C599506 
  • Tal-y-Garreg deserted homestead: C599508 
  • Glantant-uchaf, Llangedwyn: C599556 
  • Llanfair PG Womens Institute Hall: C599554 
  • Fron Newydd, Llangelynin: C599175 
  • Ysgol Syr John Rhys, Ponterwyd: C600218 

Tal y Garreg Hillfort, 2015, NPRN: 420719, Ref: DS2015_002_003

Llyfrau ~ Books
Arnott, R. P., 1953, The Miners: Years of Struggle: a History of the Miners' Federation of Great Britain (from 1910 onwards), G. Allen & Unwin, London.

Boon, George C., 1974, Caernarvon – Segontium, National Museum of Wales, Cardiff.

Boon, George C., 1984, Laterarium iscanum : the antefixes, brick & tile-stamps of the Second Augustan Legion, Amgueddfa Genedlaethol Cymru, Cardiff.

Brewer, R .J., 1980, Gelligaer Roman Fort, Rhymney Valley District Council, Caerphilly.

Briggs, C. S. and Graham-Campbell, J. A., A Lost Hoard of Viking-Age Silver from Magheralagan, County Down, Ulster Journal of Archaeology, Ulster

British Museum,1921, A Guide to the Early Christian and Byzantine Antiquities in the Department of British and Mediaeval Antiquities, Oxford University Press, Oxford.

Brown, John H.,1981, The Valley of the Shadow : an account of Britain's worst mining disaster the Senghenydd explosion, Alun Books, Port Talbot.

Burnham, Barry, 1987, Excavations at Pumsaint: 1987, Dyfed Archaeological Trust, Carmarthen.

Campbell, Ian, 1981, A Practical Guide to the Law of Footpaths and Bridleways, Commons, Open Spaces and Footpaths, Preservation Society, Henley on Thames.

Carrington, D.C., 1993, Slates to Velinheli: the railways and tramways of Dinorwic Slate Quarries, Llanberis, Bala Lake Railway Society, Llanuwchllyn.

Casey, John, 1977, Excavations at Segontium (Caernarfon) 1975: An interim report and visitors guide, Durham University, Aberystwyth.

Casey, John, 1977, Excavations at Segontium (Caernarfon) 1976: An interim report, Durham University, Aberystwyth.

Clayton, Peter A., 1980, A Companion to Roman Britain, Phaidon Press Limited, Oxford.

Cooper, Trevor (ed.), 2014, For Public Benefit: Churches Cared for by Trusts [Topical volume of Ecclesiology Today (vol. 45-50, July 2014).

Cullen, Phil, 2001, Outburst: Curse below the Gwendraeth Valley, Carmarthenshire County Council, Carmarthen.

Davies, D. L., 1987, Children of the Mines in the Cynon Valley: to Commemorate 150 Years of Coal in the Cynon Valley, 1837 – 1987, Reprint, Cardiff.

Davies, Henry, 1906, Coal Mining: A Reader for Primary Schools and Evening Continuation Classes, The Educational Publishing Co., Merthyr Tydfil.

Davies, Oliver and Evans, Estyn, Irish Court Cairns, Ulster Journal of Archaeology, Ulster.

Dawson, D. P., Jackson, R. G. and Ponsford, M. W., 1972, Medieval Kiln Wasters from St. Peter’s Church, Bristol, Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society.

Days, P. D, (n.d.), A Short History of Pembroke Dock in Words and Pictures, Haven Colourprint, Pembroke.

Delderfield, E. R., 1991, The Lynmouth Flood Disaster, E.R.D Publications Ltd., Exmouth.

De Paor, Liam, 1955-6, The Limestone Crosses of Clare and Aran, Galway Archaeological and Historical Society, Galway.

Evans, B.G. 1900, Diwygwyr Cymru, G. Evans, Caernarfon.

Farr, Grahame, 1967, Wreck and Rescue in the Bristol Channel: Vol. 2: The Story of the Welsh Lifeboats, Bradford Barton Ltd., Truro.

Frankfort, H., Frankfort, H. A., Wilson, J. A. & Jacobsen, T.,1959, Before Philosophy: A Study of Primitive Myths, Beliefs, and Speculations of Egypt and Mesopotamia, out of which Grew the Religions and Philosophies of the Later World, Penguin Books Ltd., Harmondsworth.

Gerald of Wales, 1978, The Journey Through Wales and the Description of Wales, Penguin, London.

Gregory, Donald,1992, Wales before 1066 : a Guide, Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, Llanrwst, Gwynedd.

Griffiths, D.R., 1970, The New Testament and the Roman state, John Penry Press, Swansea.

Griffiths, G. M., 1954, Deposited Collections, National Library of Wales.

Hodges, H. W. M., Studies in the Late Bronze Age in Ireland, Ulster Journal of Archaeology, Ulster.

Jones, Barri, 1971, Roman Gold Mines at Dolaucothi, The, Carmarthen County Museum, Carmarthen.

Jones,E.T and Jones,T.R.,1931, Hanes Eglwys Capel Sion Llanelli, Argraffwyd Yn Swyddfa’r, Llanelli.

Jones, G.D.B., 1974, Excavations on the Roman Fort at Pumpsaint, Dyfed County Museum, Carmarthen.

Kellet, Ernest Edward, 1954, A short history of religions, Gollancz, London.

Hall, S. C. and Hall, A., 1979, The Book of the Wye, Charlotte James, Teddington.

Heather and Hillforts Landscape Partnership, 2014, Y Grug a'r Caerau: Adroddiad Gwerthuso a Chwblhau / Heather and Hillforts: Evaluation and Completion Report, Heritage Lottery Fund Landscape Partnership.

International Correspondence Schools, 1920 (Reprint), I.C.S. Reference Library : Deep bore holes sinking methods of working timbering, International Correspondence Schools Ltd, London.

Jones, Andrew Meirion, 2012, Image, memory and monumentality: archaeological engagements with the material world: a celebration of the academic achievements of Professor Richard Bradley, Oxbow Books, Oxford.

Jones, G. D. B and Reynolds, Paul, A Roman Supply Depot at Llansantffraid-Ym-Mechain (Powys).

Keen, Richard, 1981, A glimpse of the past: a tourist's guide to industrial trails, slate quarries, mines, mills…, Wales Tourist Board, Cardiff.

Maker, L., 1935, Cob and Moorstone: The Curious History of some Cornish Churches, The Epworth Press, London.

Moore, Donald, 1973, Caerleon, Fortress of the Legion, National Museum of Wales, Cardiff.

Morgan, Gwenllian Elizabeth Fanny, Brecon Cathedral, South Wales, Campfield Press, St. Albans.

Mumbles Railway Society,1981, The Mumbles Railway: The World’s First Passenger Railway, R. J. Cottle Ltd., Swansea.

Murphy, T. F., 1961, A Ring-Fort at Oldcourt, Co. Cork, Cork Historical and Archaeological Society, Cork (P)

O’Kelly, Michael J., 1967, Knockea, Co. Limerick, Thomond Archaeological Society, Limerick. (P)

Parker, Joanne, 2014, Britannia Obscura: Mapping Hidden Britain, RHCB, London.

Passmore, A. D., 1914, On Some Bronze Age Pottery of "Food Vessel" Type, Wiltshire Archeological and Natural History.

Radford, C. A. Ralegh, 1965, The Bishop's Palace: Lamphey Pembrokeshire, HMSO, Basingstoke.

Rolt, L. T. C., 1985, Navigable Waterways, Penguin, Harmondsworth.

Thomas, Charles, 1966, Ardwall Isle: The Excavation of an early Christian site of Irish type, Dumfriesshire and Galloway Natural History and Antiquarian Society, Dumfries (P)

Thomas, Ian A., 2014, Quarrying Industry in Wales: A History / Y diwydiant chwareli yng nghymru : hanes, National Stone Centre, Wirksworth.

Warhurst, Cynthia, 1967, Excavations at Drumee Rath, Co. Fermanagh, Ulster Journal of Archaeology, Ulster (P)

Workers’ Educational Association, Llanelli Branch, 1986, Amrywiaeth Llanelli Miscellany, Llanelli Borough Council, Llanelli.

Workers’ Educational Association, Llanelli Branch,1987, Amrywiaeth Llanelli Miscellany, Llanelli Borough Council, Llanelli.

Workers’ Educational Association, Llanelli Branch,1988, Amrywiaeth Llanelli Miscellany, Llanelli Borough Council, Llanelli.

Workers’ Educational Association, Llanelli Branch, Edwards, J. (Ed.), Amrywiaeth Llanelli Miscellany, Number 17, Llanelli Workers’ Education Association, Llanelli.

Young, Robert, 1985, The Copt Hill, Houghton Le Spring, Round Cairn: A Reassessment, The Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne.

Cyfnodolion ~ Journals
BSI Update Standards (January 2015)

Casemate no. 102 (January 2015)

The Georgian issue 2/2014

Heritage in Wales no. 59 (Winter 2014)

Historic Scotland: The Magazine for Historic Scotland Members 2009-2014 (some gaps) - donation

Industrial Archaeology News vols. 170 & 171 (Autumn & Winter 2014)

Industrial Archaeology Review vol. 36 no. 2 (November 2014)

Manifesto: The Welsh Political Archive Newsletter no. 45 (2014)

Mine d’histoires no. 11 (January 2015) [electronic journal, X/Share/All/NMR/Electronic Journals]

Panel for Historical Engineering Works Newsletter no. 144 (December 2014)

Pembrokeshire Life (January 2015)

Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society vol. 80 (2014)

Railway and Canal Historical Society Bulletin no. 453 (Jan/Feb 2015)

Salon: Society of Antiquaries Newsletter no. 334 [electronic journal, X/Share/All/NMR/Electronic Journals]

Twentieth Century Society News and Events (December 2014 & January 2015) [electronic journal, X/Share/All/NMR/Electronic Journals]

Vernacular Architecture vol. 45 (2014)

Welsh Mills Society Newsletter no. 118 (January 2015)


Cylchgronau: Gwasanaeth Ymwybyddiaeth Gyfredol ~
Journals: Current Awareness


Casemate no. 102, p. 8: in ‘Awards and Grants’ section, mention of award recognising the exceptional restoration work on Chapel Bay Fort.

Ecclesiology Today vol. 45-50, p. 96: ‘Addoldai Cymru – the Welsh Religious Buildings Trust’ by Neil Sumner & Gruff Owen

The Georgian issue 2/2014, p. 44 ff: ‘Architectural Awards 2014’: Hendre House, Caerns. is joint winner of the ‘Restoration of a Georgian country house’ category; Llanelly House, Carms. is winner of ‘Restoration of a Georgian building in an urban setting’ category.

Vernacular Architecture vol. 45, p. 125 (in Tree Ring Lists 2014 section): ‘Welsh Dendrochronology Project – Phase 17’, Martin Bridge, Daniel Miles, Richard Suggett and Margaret Dunn (List 267)


Cysylltwch รข ni ~ Contact us 
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:

NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Crown Building,
Plas Crug,
Aberystwyth,
Ceredigion,
SY23 1NJ

Telephone: +44 (0)1970 621200
Fax: +44 (0)1970 627701
Email: nmr.wales@rcahmw.gov.uk
Website: www.rcahmw.gov.uk
Blog: www.heritageofwalesnews.blogspot.co.uk
                                    

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

www.rcahmw.gov.uk
Please comment and let us know your views or your news. Remember that what you write can be read by everyone. RCAHMW reserves the right not to publish offensive or inaccurate material.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails