Posts Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts      All Comments Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts     Cymraeg

Tuesday, 6 January 2015

National Monuments Record of Wales Archives and Library Bulletin - December 2014

Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed.

Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00, Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.

Rhagfyr – December 2014 

Archif ~ Archives

General Digital Donations Collection:
  • Report entitled, The Siabod Hone Quarry, Dolwyddelan produced by W.T. and A.M. Jones, October 2014. Ref: DD2014_017 
  • 47 postcards loaned for copying from the private collection of Thomas Lloyd: C598490
C.1905 postcard view showing sheep and stock dealer outside Rhos Inn, Blaenffos. Ref: CD2005_630_039

Investigators’ Photographs Collection
  • Over 600 b/w prints taken by S.R. Hughes during the course of fieldwork – mainly industrial sites and chapels. Date Range: 1990 – 2002 

Photo surveys of the following sites: 
Court Henry - detail of gable truss and decoration. Ref: DS2014_546_006

  • Court Henry, Llangathen: C598612 
  • Barmouth War Memorial: C597807, C597796 
  • Sites in Eglwyscummin, Carmarthenshire, including St Lawrence church and war memorial, Marros Mill, peat exposure and a wreck on Morros Sands: C597514, C597520, C597523, C597718 
  • Tanks used for firing practice on the Castlemartin Ranges: C597745 
  • Mills in Pembrokeshire: C598371, C598379, C598385 
  • Fron Factory, Rhayader: C598392 
  • Wheeler Paper Mills, Caerwys: C598407 
  • Maes-y-Coed Farm building, Afon Wen: C598537 
  • Moorshead Farmhouse, Sigingstone: C598567 
  • Waterwheel, Great Abbey Farm, Strata Florida: C598213 
  • Tregaron Union Workhouse / Edward VII Hospital C598221 
  • Schwyll pumping Station, Ogmore: C598226 
  • Usk Railway Station goods yard: C598240 
  • Barry Railway Station signal Box: C598257 
View from the west of Barry Station Signalbox. Ref: DS2014_529_002

  • Aberthaw Railway Station signal box: C598268 
  • National Mining Memorial, Senghenydd: C598276 
View of the western pylon, Newport Transporter Bridge . Ref: DS2014_532_002

  • Newport Transporter Bridge: C598307 
  • St Mary Church Railway Station and signal box: C598335; C598340 
  • Cardiff Bridge, Cowbridge Road, Cardiff: C598544 
  • Ty Bronna, Fairwater: C598354 
  • Fairbourne Railway: C598356 
  • East Hook Farmhouse, Haverfordwest: C598364 
  • Mills in Pembrokeshire: C598371, C598379, C598385 
Weaving looms, Solva Woollen Mill. Ref: DS2014_539_005

Islwyn Jones Chapel Collection
Photo surveys of the following chapels were added to this collection:
  • Rhydybont Welsh Independent 
  • Pisgah Welsh Baptist 
  • Hebron Welsh Baptist, Pencader 
  • Horeb CM, Mynyddygarreg 
  • Nebo Independent 
  • Pumpsaint Welsh CM 
  • Capel Nonni, Llanllwni 
  • Gwyddgrug Welsh Independent 
  • Aberduar Welsh Baptist, Llanybyther 
  • Moriah Welsh Baptist, Pencader 
  • Sardis Welsh Independent, Trimsaran 
  • Caio Welsh CM 
  • Ffaldybrenin Welsh Independent 
  • Salem CM, New Inn, Nevern 
  • Tabernacl Welsh CM, Pontyates 
  • Abergorlech Welsh Independent 
  • Noddfa Welsh Baptist, Trimsaran 
  • St Teilo’s Mission Church, Mynyddygarreg 
  • Esgairdawe Welsh Independent 
  • Moriah Welsh Baptist, Tonypandy 
  • Ty Cwrdd Welsh Independent, Gwernogle 
  • Cwmwrdu Welsh Unitarian 
  • Nasareth Welsh Independent, Ponyates 
  • Ebeneser Welsh CM, Llanedi 
  • Trinity English CM, Dunraven 

Cambrian Archaeological Projects Archives
  • Archaeological evaluation of the roman fort at Dinefwr Park, Llandeilo carried out by Amelia Pannett of Cambrian Archaeological Projects Ltd. CAP Report No. 447, 2007: C598274 
Cambridge University Committee for Aerial Photography Collection
  • Additions of 4 boxes of index cards for Welsh sites dated 1965: C846012 

Archaeology Wales Project Archives
  • Archaeological desk-based assesment and field evaluation for Morgannwg Nursing Home, Brecon, report no. 371. Produced by Cambrian Projects Ltd in 2005 with addendum in 2011: C598895 
  • Archaeological evaluation for Baglan Road, Baglan, Report No. 1117, 2013: C598491 
  • Archaeological Desk-based Assessment for Tan y Foel Quarry, Cefn Coch, report no. 1089. 2012: C598913 
  • Archaeological Evaluation, Assessments and Interim Statement for Gatewen Colliery, Wrexham. Report Nos. 542 and 558, 2008 and 2009: C598511 
  • Archaeological Desk-Based Assessments for Grange Road, Cwmbran, Report No. 638; Llantarnam Grange, Cwmbran, Report No. 574; Grange Road, Cwmbran, Report No. 638; Grange Road, Cwmbran, Report No. 1006. 2009 and 2010: C598499 
  • Archaeological Watching Brief for Sain Tathan’s Church, St Athan, report no. 598. 2009: C598897 

NMR Site Files
  • Castle House, Hay: photos surveys dated 1970 and 1987 and measured drawings dated 1979: C598002, C598005, C598019, C598088 
  • Black and white photo survey of Gwaun Clawdd Circular Byre at Lamb and Flag Farm, produced by RCAHMW, March 1988: C598195 
  • Black and white photo survey of the Brewery/Bakery at Builth Wells, produced by RCAHMW: C598208 
  • Upper Forest Feeder Weir, Swansea; two black and white photographs copied from originals held in Swansea City Archive: C598223 
  • Lower Forest Feeder Weir, Swansea; two black and white photograph copied from originals held in Swansea City Archive: C598232 
  • Set of measured drawing of buildings at Penllegaer Gardens, produced by Geoff Ward, 2000: C598390 

Llyfrau ~ Books

Dunstone, W. J., 1930, Braslun O Hanes Eglwys Moriah, Ynystawe.

Evans, Beriah Gwynfe, 1900, Digygwyr Cymru, Sef Ymchwiliad Hanesyddol I Ddechreuad Yr Enwadau Ymeillduol, A'i Brwydrau Dros Ryddid Cydwybod, Beriah Gwynfe Evans, Caernafon.

Glover, T. R., 1948, The Ancient World, Pelican Books, London.

Morgan, D. Arthur, 1955, Yr Eglwys Fethodistaidd, Y Tabernacl, Llanfyllin.

Oakley, K. P., Rankine, W. F. & Lowther, A. W. G., 1939, A Survey of the Prehistory of the Farnham District (Surrey), The Surrey Archaeological Society, Guildford.

Roberts, Gomer M., 1964, Y Can Mlynedd Hyn / These Hundred Years: A History of the Beginning and Development of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Wales, C.M Bookroom, Caernarvon.

Stamp, Gavin, 2010, Lost Victorian Britain: How the Twentieth Century Destroyed the Nineteenth Century's Architectural Masterpieces, Aurum Press, London.

Stevenson, Josephus (Ed.), 1875, Radulphi De Coggeshall Chronicon Anglicanum, De Expugnatione Terrae Sanctae Libellus, Thomas Agnellus De Morte Et Sepultura Henrici Regis Angliae Junioris, Gesta Funconis Filii Warini, Excerpta Ex Otiis Imperialibus Gervasii Tileburiensis, Longman & Co., London.

Suggett, Richard and Dunn, Margaret, 2014, Darganfod Tai Hanesyddol Eryri / Discovering the Historic Houses of Snowdonia, RCAHMW, Aberystwyth.

Waddington Shirley, Walter (Ed.), 1866, Royal and Other Historical Letters Illustrative of the Reign Of Henry III: Vol. II 1236-1272: From the Originals in the Public Record Office, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer: HMSO, London.

Warner, George F. (Ed.), 1891, Giraldi Cambrensis Opera Vol. VIII: De Principis Instructione Liber, HMSO, London.

Cyfnodolion ~ Journals

Ancient Monuments Society/Friends of Friendless Churches Newsletter no. 03/2014 (Autumn 2014)

Antiquity vol. 88 no. 342 (December 2014)

Archaeologia Cambrensis vol. 162 (2013)

Archive no. 84 (December 2014)

Below! Quarterly Journal of the Shropshire Caving & Mining Club no. 2014.4 (Winter 2014)

British Archaeology no. 140 (Jan/Feb 2015)

Cartographic Journal vol. 51 no. 4 (November 2014)

CBA Newsletter no. 32 (Late Winter 2014)

Current Archaeology no. 298 (January 2015)

Etifeddiaeth y Cymry rh. 59 (Gaeaf 2014)

Europa Nostra Scientific Bulletin no. 65 (2012) ‘The reuse of ancient fortified settlements from middle ages to early modern time’

Gower vol. 65 (2014)

Merioneth Historical and Record Society Journal vol. XVII pt. 1 (2014)

Mine d'Histoires no. 10 (November 2014) [electronic journal, X/Share/All/NMR/Electronic Journals]

NAMHO Newsletter no. 70 (December 2014) [electronic journal, X/Share/All/NMR/Electronic Journals]

Past: The Newsletter of the Prehistoric Society no. 78 (Autumn 2014)

Pembrokeshire Life (December 2014)

Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland vol. 143 (2013)

Sheetlines no. 101 (December 2014) and Index to nos. 69-101

Studia Celtica vol. 48 (2014)

Update Standards (December 2014)

Welsh History Review vol. 27 no. 2 (December 2014)

Welsh Railways Archive vol. 5 no. 10 (Winter 2014)

Welsh Railways Research Circle Newsletter no. 141 (Winter 2014)

Cylchgronau Gwasanaeth Ymwybyddiaeth Gyfredol ~ Journals Current Awareness

Ancient Monuments Society/Friends of Friendless Churches Newsletter no. 03/2014, p. 3: ‘English Heritage/Historic England’ [about EH’s forthcoming restructuring]; p. 5 ff: Friends of Friendless Churches section [reports on a number of Welsh churches]; p. 12 ff: Casework section [mentions several Welsh sites]

Antiquity vol. 88 no. 342, p. 1099: ‘Beyond Stonehenge: Carn Menyn Quarry and the origin and date of bluestone extraction in the Preseli Hills of south-west Wales’ by Timothy Darvill and Geoff Wainwright

Archaeologia Cambrensis vol. 162 p. 359: Review, by Raimud Karl, of The Hillforts of North Ceredigion by Toby Driver; p. 370: Review, by Lawrence Butler, of Fields of Play by Daryl Leeworthy; p. 371: Review, by Will Davies, of Radnorshire from Above by Chris Musson.

CBA Newsletter no. 32, p. 3: ‘English Heritage “new model” confirmed’ [about EH’s forthcoming restructuring]

NAMHO Newsletter no. 70, p. 10: ‘Cambrian Mines Trust’ by Roy Fellows: report on the Trust’s work, incl. Cwmystwyth, Frongoch, and Goginan mines; p. 13, in ‘Other Mining News’, Wales section: round-up of reports, on Navigation Colliery, Crumlin; service to mark Aberfan anniversary; The Coal Exchange, Cardiff; and Clogau Gold Mine.

Cysylltwch â ni ~ Contact us
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:
NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Crown Building, Plas Crug
Ceredigion SY23 1NJ

Telephone: +44 (0)1970 621200
Fax: +44 (0)1970 627701

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on: Facebook Twitter Flickr
Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:


Post a Comment
Please comment and let us know your views or your news. Remember that what you write can be read by everyone. RCAHMW reserves the right not to publish offensive or inaccurate material.


Related Posts with Thumbnails